Gear Lust Part 7

Been toying with the idea of getting a live dubbing rig together, I wanna do essentially do what they do when i live dub mixing but with more hip hope and getting a bit more experimental.

Aside from that, I have decided to bite the bullet n start saving for a mixing desk, I reckon 12 channels will be enough for what i need seen 2 mixers which looks like itll get me going (Soundcraft EFX12 or a Allen & Heath MixWizard WZ) , some sort of trigger/apc pad to launch loops from ableton/logic, as well as sound fx like sirens n shit (I reckon i still probably make the bits on logic and just do the mix through ableton) , Line 6 DL4 unit, I reckon lots use this Boss one ive seen but ive used the DL4 when playing guitar and it has a lot of different options to play with, and maybe some sort of spring box im unsure yet.

the only thing im a bit clueless on is interface, I know ill probably need 8in 8 out right? But im really not sure where to start with them, If anyone can offer up any advice that would be really appreciated!

1 BigUp

Check out the sound craft signature MTK mixers. The mtk models have interfaces built into them which provides I/o for every channel over usb. They sound nice as well.

1 BigUp

checked it out looks absolutely spot on for what i need

1 BigUp

Just got me a pretty much brand new M Audio Oxygen 61 for „10k (~£70)

Not amazing but it’s my first piece of hardware! It’s so much easier to write melodies on it compared to the mouse lol

4 Likes

A MIDI controller is crucial.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s such good value for money, even brand new it’s only 20k but it’s got so many fader and dials on as well that I can use for dubbing

i need to get my keyboard back from my mate.

mousing sucks

1 BigUp

ive been using my microkorg as a midi controller for a few years, its not ideal lol

My mate had one of them! We used to produce with it, pretty nifty piece of gear eh not very big though

Mousing isn’t very musical for me.

1 BigUp

In b4 neural lace interface

1 BigUp

I couldn’t be fucked to use a keyboard or controller, mostly because I don’t have a fixed working station. I haven’t really used the expensive genelecs I bought a while ago because it’s such a chore to set them up and I might be working on the kitchen table, on the sofa or on the floor

That is so unfunky and no excuse.

I used to pack these in my laptop bag when I traveled.

That Akai has a funky arpeggiator built into it.

2 Likes

farp

1 BigUp

Man, I actually really want this thing.

Sounds so gut, apparently the build quality is bit dodgy tho (but since it’s a diy kit, maybe it’s user error? Not sure)

I feel like the price point on Teenage Engineering products in general is a bit overinflated by like 20%, even when the offering is solid. They’d sell a lot more if they could tame their supply/fab costs imo.

When I worked on that esports chair ting with Ikea & Ninjas In Pyjamas last year and we flew to their hq in Sweden, part of the presentation the former gave emphasizing their cool cred (like sponsoring music festivals n shit) was some limited collaboration with Teenage that got me really excited at first (Ikea making home studio furniture?!) but alas turned out to be nothing more than a Swedish hipster mutual congrat-fest.

Ah well.

i 100% agree, I dont like nearly any of their previous instruments, had fun playing around with the OP1 but it was just an expensive toy, and i want to feel that way about the 400 but i dont lol, I wish i did.

The one cool thing is that they are releasing a very affordable stand alone CV sequencer that I will most likely be picking up when its available.

1 BigUp