Gear Lust Part 7

Yeah you’ll hopefully hear something eventually! The ‘real reggae’ sound is just neck pickup of a jazz bass with the tone control all the way down apparently lol bass is one of the easiest instruments to work with in the studio anyway because you can just DI it

I’ve actually been looking at acoustics really, proper want a parlour guitar

Aren’t you making any music yourself atm?

Look forward to it :slight_smile:

again with the video link, it’s just a guitar to me bro ! i know they can sound different and certain one’s have a certain timbre but if your playing it like that dude is, then it’s just a guitar to me lol !

is it called a parlour guitar cos it makes the sound of old western’y music ??

i am making stuff atm, set myself a little challenge recently to only work within the constraints of ‘‘ukg’’ finding it really productive not tryna create a new genre everytime i write something…

I think it’s because they’re small enough to play ‘in the parlour’ lol It’s just a smaller size than the ones you usually see (they’re called ‘dreadnoughts’ lol). That’s better for me because my shoulder’s a bit fucked so reaching around a big body is awkward and makes me twinge sometimes.

Here’s a useful comparison of the dif sizes against each other, they just get a bit longer and wider for more bass and volume as they get bigger

Found a good vid that explains the differences in you’re interested!

After watching that, I think a travel size one might be nice too actually

Yeah, been wanting a Backpacker or sth for a while now.

1 BigUp

I think i’ll go for a 38ft dreadnought please ! :stuck_out_tongue:

nice one for the link i’ll stick this on now…

Enjoyed the vid… the guy has a really good voice

Trash 2 is 80% off rn
https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/438

2 Likes

Just listened to it, it’s got a silly amount of features!

I bought it this summer. It is nice.

1 BigUp

I bought myself one of these after thinking of getting one for at least two years. I miss the Dubwise mixing style that I used to do with a hardware mixer and hardware instruments.

I’ve kind of got by using various MIDI controllers, but I wanted a dedicated mixer MIDI controller with everything right there. I like the long faders on this thing. Plus I can program all of the knobs, buttons and faders to something else in user mode. This is built for Ableton Live so you can plug it in and it just works.

3 Likes

How much are those?

I’ve been using the apc 40mk2 and it works but that one you bought looks more in line with what I want to be doing

It was $149 plus tax from Sweetwater so it came out $160 something.

I had been using my Akai APC mini for fader duties but the fader throw is so small. I supplemented it with knobs from an Arturia MiniLab MK2 and my old Korg Nano Kontrol that I bought in 2007 but when that stopped working with Windows 10 (sort of fixed it but not the software) that was the final straw.

So got some money for my b-day (which is tomorrow), so now I’m looking for new gear.
Been droolin’ over the Push 2 for some time now, but seeing how I purchased a second hand APC40 MK1 a couple of months back I can’t really justify it.

This being said I do find that going back and forth between the Digitakt/APC combo and my computer to look for sounds feels at times very tedious, so when I think about it a Push 2 kind of makes more sense.

Buuuut, also would love to get some more hardware synths, just because more buttons are nice.
I.e Behringer Neutron, TD-3, x0xb0x mk2 etc.

@knobgoblin @cyclopian You’re both mainly using hardware, right? Any experience with mentioned synths, or any other input?

The Neutron looks sexy, been eyeing it lately. Think I’d prefer it over any of the clones they have out features-wise. Bit tired of my Microbrute and Monologue tbh but haven’t pulled the trigger on selling either. I’d like to have a nice mono and a poly, not decided on the poly yet, and cant spare the money atm. Definitely selling my System-1 cause I’m just not a huge fan now compared to what’s out lately. Anyways haven’t used any of the ones you’ve mentioned myself

1 BigUp

Maybe sell off the apc and get the Push 2?

Sounds like it might your best bet in terms of workflow.

2 Likes

Seems like it yeah, even though I’d love not having to be dependent on a computer to make music - in the long term at least.

I got the Bro-1 a few days ago and it is nice!! It sounds really good which is why I bought it.

2 Likes

this looks lovely mmmmmmmm

1 BigUp

I’m tumescent

1 BigUp

That Modal Argon though…