Gear Lust Part 7

Oh really? Why would a dynamic mic be better then? I assumed condenser mics are better quality for studio recordings where as dynamic mics are better for live?
I’m only remembering my limited education on it which is a bit hazy.
I have no mics apart from the ones built into my Tascam DR100.

Dynamics are better for high volume sound sources, some condensers can be a bit sensitive. I’d look into it first but it might have totally great results all the same especially if you dont have the gain super cranked. I have an NT1 at home, nice mic but havent used it for tracking any guitars myself

Yeah I would definitely get an sm58 then. Great mic for whatever and if you take the capsule off
you have an sm57.

Large diaphragm condensers are generally used for vocals but it’s certainly not wrong to record
a cab with it. @MARSEN what have you used your NT1 for? I only have a pair of TF27’s at home
and an sm58.

1 BigUp

Just like little vocal bits to work into my productions mostly, or recording random objects to sample, and sometimes recording the gf singing and playing (acoustic) guitar. Def not the expert on amp recording with it

I used to point a SM57 right at the grill. Pretty much kissing it.

With a condenser you would probably need to pull it back a bit.

1 BigUp

Also, keep in mind that a condenser mic needs phantom power so make sure your audio interface has it. Most do.

1 BigUp

Think i’m still gonna get the NT1 for potential vocals anyway.
But why would you choose a dynamic over condenser for a guitar amp if they will both do the job well?

@mks i’m aware of Phantom power and having to be careful with it so you don’t ruin equipment, one of the things i do remember from college

You decide on your tone by pointing the mic at a certain part of the speaker cone.
Either on- or off axis. It’s just easier to do that with a small diaphragm dynamic imo. Then again,
I have two small condensers and I have used those on speaker cabs as well.

Frequency wise, an sm57 would also get me the right low freq roll off and very forward mids that
I would want from the guitar in my mix. I was taught to get as close to the sound I wanted in the
recording stage (I still apply that in my producing).

That being said, the NT1 is a fine choice. Versatile mic and certainly a good choice if you also want
to do something with vocals.

3 Likes

Nice one mate :+1:

Wow this Keystep Pro…

Can really tie any hybrid setup together. But it also looks really good for composing without
a computer with the extensive sequencing and arp capabilities. Live sets too because everything is
saved in your scenes. Looks like they nailed it.

Haha this woman is amazing. Got me second guessing the Thyme too.
Going to a store to try it out maybe. If it’s not my thing I’ll look at OTO or Erica.

lol I’m high af… but seriously you should check the music she makes with who I assume is her husband. It’s absolutely mind boggling.

3 Likes

thinking about getting this, on sale for 50 USD…

I use Decapitator often. It is nice.

1 BigUp

Is it based on a Distressor Hardware unit?

I believe one of the modes is. It has 4 or 5 modes based off of classic hardware.

2 Likes

OK, I found the models that it is based off of:

A = Ampex 350
E = EMI based off of a Chandler remake of an EMI console from Abbey Road.
N = Neve 1057
T = Triode modeled after the Culture Vulture.
P = Pentode modeled after a different setting on the Culture Vulture.

3 Likes

Pretty impressive array still.

FYI, if you have any of the Soundtoys effects, from time to time they will give you a special offer to upgrade to the whole suite. It is well worth it as they are all awesome.

Sometimes they will give one away for free which will make you eligible for the offer. Last year they gave away Little Plate for free and a few years ago they gave away Sie-Q which is how I upgraded.

Buh

Do Moog not understand that I’m living off government benefits with this pandemic situation right now. How dare they do this

1 BigUp