Grundy // interview // NYC Dubstep DnB

Just finished an interview for my blog. Dude makes some heavy tunes! check it out please :slight_smile:

https://nycdubstepdnb.blogspot.com/2017/09/grundy-interview.html

1 BigUp

hereā€™s a transcriptā€¦ The blog page has links and embedded video

Great interview with an up and coming DJ / producer making some heavy tunes, Grundy, about music and life.

NYCDD:
howā€™s it going / whatā€™re you up to now?
Grundy:
Okay
Iā€™m good Man, just out at buffalo wild wings. Me and my girlfriends 3 year anniversary is today so weā€™re just cruising around grand rapids
NYCDD:
nice one, congratulations
Grundy:
:blush:
thanks
NYCDD:
what does your GF think about your music?
Grundy:
She just cracked a joke at me under her breath hahaha but she likes it, or maybe sheā€™s just really nice hahaha
NYCDD:
lol, yeah. that happens
can you tell me what the joke was?
Grundy:
I had asked her if she liked my music and she said ā€œyeah rightā€ under her breath hahaha
NYCDD:
LOL
what kind of music does she like, generally?
Grundy:
Sheā€™s into alternative music, punk, and a little bit of country. Sometimes we jam TLC to get the feels right
NYCDD:
nice. and what about your music preferences?
Grundy:
Iā€™ve always really enjoyed punk music, hardcore, thrash, and hardcore etc but honestly just about everything. Iā€™ll go from Cold World to John Maus to General Levy in a matter of minutes hahaha
NYCDD:
can you name a couple favorite all time musicians?
and perhaps a couple favorite all time songs / tracks
Grundy:
Probably, Jason Becker, Lemmy, Skream, Loefah, Kontent, Joedan.
Dang Iā€™d have to think about that one
NYCDD:
nice, can see their influence
itā€™s ok, let me know if it comes to you later
how about your girlfriendā€¦ fav musicians, fav songs?
Grundy:
Deffo the doors
The wasp is her favorite tune
Sheā€™s a big doors fan
NYCDD:
cool. great band indeed
where are you located and howā€™s the local music scene?
Grundy:
I am located like right in the center of Michigan. Iā€™m from Mount Pleasant, 3 hours north of Detroit. Gosh, Iā€™m gonna sound like a jerk but my town/areas music scene is crap. A lot of clubs that still play '05 Nelly etc etc. Very ā€˜plasticā€™.
South of me is just basically all riddim but we do have some dubbers in michugan
NYCDD:
I hear that. are there any clubs you can go to for dubstep related music?
Grundy:
This is gonna sound so sad but no, not really. You basically just have wooks, and like chainsmokers fans.
Kinda just me tbh
NYCDD:
youā€™ve been playing some shows / have some lined up
where have they been at?
Grundy:
I generally play at Macā€™s Bar in Lansing more so just cause itā€™s a very open scene and the guy who runs the electronic night is a Don with being open w/music selection. Actually shouts to Chris Hoddy while Iā€™m at it
NYCDD:
ahhh, so there are places to go
Grundy:
Iā€™ve got a show coming up October 10th support Seven from tempa, and a g from Detroit called calico
NYCDD:
yeah, thatā€™s dope
Grundy:
Just gotta drive a couple hours to get it the music
NYCDD:
no problem, that happens
especially in the US for essentially UK music
any favorite live shows?
youā€™ve been to
real cool about Macā€™s Bar. thatā€™s something special really
Grundy:
Moody blues was probably one of the best shows Iā€™ve ever seen. Maybe soundgarden as well. I did see behemoth once and it was sick. Youngsta is a G too
Macā€™s is a hub of beautiful people just doing the things we love
NYCDD:
what about the moody blues show
and while youā€™re thinking, same question to your girlfriend (favorite live show)?
Grundy:
She said all time low Erm Iā€™d have to say it was cause I was on acid and when knights in white satin came on I just cried and was like woah Iā€™m so small in this world hahahahahaha
NYCDD:
Grundy:
:blush:
sounds like an awesome time
do you have a favorite mind altering substance?
Grundy:
Love the devils lettuce always and forever
:wink:
NYCDD:
nice one
do you have a musical philosophy?
Grundy:
Thinking about it now I wanna say probably not, but honestly I wish I could sit down with an idea and just run with it. I guess if I had a philosophy it would be to just make people happy. Everyoneā€™s so God damn stressed all the time
NYCDD:
thatā€™s cool man
sounds like a life philosophy too
stress can be a mind killer
do you have a 5 year plan for your music or where do you see yourself musically in 5 years?
Grundy:
Well to be honest Iā€™ll probably end up over on Nottingham with the gang to make dubbies and help w/ canopus stuff as well as our new label Sub Damage Audio. In 5 years Itā€™d be cool to just work part time and do music essentially full time
Hopefully come out and meet you someday G
NYCDD:
word up. sound like a good plan.
yeah man, let me know if youā€™re ever coming out to NYC
Grundy:
Drinks on me!
NYCDD:
or perhaps Iā€™ll make it out to MI some day
LOL
niiice
Grundy:
Show you around the corn fields where Iā€™m from ahahaga
NYCDD:
LOL
sounds like fun m8
and going in the opposite directly in time, howā€™d you get into music. were your parents or grandparents into music?
(ps last question)
Grundy:
I wanna say yes, but mainly on my momā€™s side. My grandpa was a hippy so heā€™d always blast Fleetwood Mac and stuff like that. I basically got a guitar when I was 8 or 9 and played for years (still do) but like dub and stuff I basically got slipped the skream ep and fabric live 37 by my buddy Brian Trimble aka trimbee who is a sick PRODUCER as well. After that I basically was red pilled. I got out of dub around like '13 cause here well you know America is very brosteppish
Grundy:
Started mixing like 4 years ago
Mainly house music and shit like that but I found this group called dubstep bangers and it changed my life
Met Ben Perkins aka The Cosmos, George Rigby Aka Aztek
Bought a DAW and now we are here
Been a crazy couple years ngl
NYCDD:
excellent
craziness is a good thing
Grundy:
I enjoy it. My dad always said "you live like your nuts are on fire"
NYCDD:
any last comments
thatā€™s a great saying
or was that a comment on you
either way itā€™s a great approach to life I think
Grundy:
Thank you for having me in the interview man! Always a pleasure speaking with you. Just wanna say thank you to my Notts/Sheff crew ravers, the 989 gang, Nexero doing things down in the dirty D, mans like Emti, Tino, Jdubba, and especially Damon aka Daseplate, and the while Pond Life Crew
Grundy:
Yeah dude my dad is quite the character hahaha
NYCDD:
well, much appreciation for chatting today. and big thanks to your girlfriend for being cool. Hope you all have a wonderful day, enjoying your anniversary.

Big up Khybot. This is whatā€™s needed - not slick photoshopped flyers, just real talk. Like the old days with zines and shit.

OKā€¦ so yr blog is nycdubstepdnb but the domain is - France? :bearded_person:t2: :question:

BWW for an anniversaryā€¦ god. So glad I donā€™t live in the midwest any more lol. Also funny re: riddim slag.

Cool to see a youngun repping Moody Blues as well. Interesting that heā€™s thinking of emigrating to the UK.

Liking his basses a lot. He does di wubz well. Would like to hear the beats expand into something more.

:salute:

1 BigUp

oh word up. thanks for the props and reading the interview.

Yeah, definitely taking a DIY keep it real approach to it. LOL, yeah man, cornfields. Interview was done via FB messenger too.

And trying to focus on music and getting to know the person.

As far as the domain, itā€™s on blogger so perhaps they are in France??? Iā€™m in NYC.

Cool you like his music. deffo hit him up on SC or FB. Iā€™m sure heā€™d appreciate the feedback.

:fist_right::fist_left:

yeah, Iā€™m thinking about it emigrating too. US music scene kind sucks if youā€™re trying to make dubstep / dnb or any kind of deep bass music. Thereā€™s no scene and no labels and no support and no where to play.

I mean, itā€™s UK music, so also the quality of the music community is much better in UK. If you want to be a bedroom hip hop producer waiting for your big break (while DJā€™ing top 40), the USA is the place to be.

1 BigUp