Hi hats

how you getting yours? i have some hi hats and similar percs which i sampled myself but found in general for tight snappy hats which are most convenient for my drum patterns it’s best to have some from sample packs

-but i’ve kind of rinsed the one’s i have in sample packs, always find myself using the same lex luger hat that sounds too thin

so can anyone recommend any sample packs exclusively dealing in hats (been trying to do kicks and snares from my own sampling), or do you guys get yours by your own sampling, and do you do any layering/other techniques with ones you do have?

1 BigUp

I got a few packs, quite a few hats and I haven’t used all of them yet. That being said, I’ve had a preference for shakers and really dusty sounding hats

1 BigUp

me too

the less ringy the better

love this recent ‘uncommon’ one

there’s so many tricks tho

imo hihats are the most difficult aspect of production and almost nobody gets it right

ultimately they should imo go in key - going in a scale is probably too much but not in concept

2 Likes

usually get them from older sample packs

usually layer them or use multiple different hats for different MIDI hits that play off each other

Personally I don’t have a problem using the same hat samples over and over. Honestly, I don’t even think most other musicians would notice. TBH I reuse about the same dozen kicks over and over and no one who regularly gives me notes has ever mentioned it. I also reuse the same hand drum kits over and over and no one complains. But I digress.

I don’t know about hats only packs, but I love everything about Gold Baby Vinyl Drum Machines. The hats all sound good.

@hubb really? tuning hats? it is mostly noise and a-tonal content?

1 BigUp

lol, I’ve used the same hi-hat in almost every single tune. It’s the same couple of sample layered, but at different volumes with different distortions and decay times for different tunes.

I have a drum rack in ableton that I turn to every project, lol.

I look at it like this:

How many drummers have unlimited amounts of hihats? Too much choice just baffles me and I end up never making any decisions…

2 Likes

lol, I’ve used the same hi-hat in almost every single tune. It’s the same couple of sample layered, but at different volumes with different distortions and decay times for different tunes.

I have a drum rack in ableton that I turn to every project, lol.

I look at it like this:

How many drummers have unlimited amounts of hihats? Too much choice just baffles me and I end up never making any decisions…

cheers guys, i’d sample the hats myself more but i rarely find a tune where there’s a good 1 shot hat hit unlike snares and kicks

i’d like to layer them more, with snares i usually get the same one and layer it on itself eqing the layers to different frequencies and compress it together, with hats would you layer different ones or the same one, would you try and eq layers to different frequencies or just sorta stick it together as is

and i don’t mind using the same hats, tbh i usually have a drum rack on the go and reuse the sounds till i’m sick to death of them, just looking to get them sounding sicker

There’s a good Waka Flocka sample pack that has a bunch of good hi hats

I’ve got low investment in hats.

I like durty hats.

I like crisp clean hats.

Any sample pack usually has a few hats I’m into.

I like 808 hats despite trapsters essentially living now on my front lawn.

2 Likes

I usually find whatever I need in either Battery or in the core Ableton library tbh.
Not thinking that much of it as long as it fits the track.

Layering hats? Jeez…I just pick a couple samples I like (read: used a billion times before) and spend the rest of my energy making 'em sound groovy. I know the “shape” of the hat can partially determine this, but that is the beauty of knowing my two dozen hat samples really well ;p

Throw a flanger on that shit.

Can we post some tunes to sample hihats from?

Sorry to remind RKM of this one

You can download them with this
http://www.listentoyoutube.com/index.php

Is that you Dr. Suess???

Dr. NWJ, you could say.

Drum synthesis and retuned samples, overlaid…

Microtonic or Elastic Drums/SeekBeats for iOS for drumsynths.

@NWJ

1 BigUp

Thank god for that, I can’t wait to get the fuck outta here.