How do I make my track clear and loud like Zomboy and Getter?

You have to learn about EQ-ing ,and compressing. These are critical. https://www.dubstepforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104330

you need to hit 0db with a kick and snare if you are referencing a Zomboy track.

Editā€¦oops, forgot to explain that I mix at 0db. I like to set kick and snares at 0 that way when I track reference, I know exactly where I am at and where I need to go.

0 dB? dBfs?
then ur track is clipping?

OMG Thank you!!! I think your answer are what I need!!! So should I put a limiter on my master when I start to make my track?

Yes and noā€¦ everything else comes in lower so synths sit around -5db for example. If they are sidechained well, you donā€™t break 0db. Usually itā€™s the high hats and tails of things that stack up and make you go over 0db.

Ultimately, everything is clipped or limited thoughā€¦so in a sense yes but it is on a per tack level more so than all squashed in the master.

1 BigUp

That can be done at the end of when you are making a track, when you are going to master it basically the final touches, make the track louder, make it sound clearer, limit some frequencies with multiband compression.

I do this sort of, but i mix to like -12 or something then clip it during the mastering stage. but i use soft clipping cos u can really rag it before it distorts

My production tip is donā€™t try to get production tips from other dubstep producers. Not that they arenā€™t extremely knowledgable, everyone here has great insight, the problem is that since many of us are self-taught, our perspectives are based on what we do. Itā€™s more DIY than say producing pop music. With pop music thereā€™s a certain industry standard practice that most producers follow. But in dubstep, in my view, most producers do things their own way. For example, someone mentioned side-chaining everything to the kick and snare, something I would NEVER do. In fact, I donā€™t do that unless Iā€™m going for a particular pumping sound, common in house music production, but generally only the sub and, if itā€™s there, the midrange bass sound gets the side-chain from the kick. I only really do side-chaining if two elements fall in the same area of the frequency spectrum, like a kick and a sub bass probably would.

Thatā€™s just my two cents.

2 Likes

I agree. Learn all the basics then start breaking rules and seeing when and how that works. Bro step producers generally donā€™t do Avery good job at the mix stage at all. They are jedt uber loud. I think getter knows his shit tho

1 BigUp

Thatā€™s fine but the thread is specifically about what Zomboy does, not how to produce in general. You can get away with no sidechaining just fine depending on your mix but you might have trouble getting kicks and snares on par with Zomboy like that.

1 BigUp

Sorry I meant to emphasize the part about it being side-chained to both. To side-chain to just the kick is one thing, literally do that all the time, but to side-chain something to both kick and snare at the same time is surprising to me. Zomboy does that for sure?

Sounds like it tbh most of his tunes sound a bit like the snare us ducking the whole track aha. Iā€™d agree tbh it doesnā€™t sound great

1 BigUp

Is it just me or does getter sound like he buses all his non-sub synths and high pass them at like 600 or 700hz? It sounds really bad imo

Yeah itā€™s the styleā€¦I more so get bent out of shape when I hear hats sidechained and the entire track collapses in on every kick and snare hit

1 BigUp

Getter does have a new sound like that. The drop bass parts are really dry tooā€¦I didnā€™t like it at first but I actually kind of like it now.

in this tune hes made a p nice mix,
i know what u mean though. his synths are al a little thin but it works when there are vocals

great role model.

hahahahahaha I also retweet this lol