I want advice on gaining skills as a producer

Re: watching youtube tutorials…I would be careful here…avoid tutorials in which the author says things like: “Uh…I like um…turn this knob and it makes things moar phatter” etc…

I’d go for ones that seem associated with a publication or a school like Dubspot. Actually some of the best money I ever spent was a subscription for three months to Groove3 tutorials, the all acess pass. I learned a ton from those, worth its weight in gold. It was only 15USD a month, dunno now.

1 BigUp

no, just no.
it may be mainstream and “popular” but as far as the execution of the production goes david guetta tracks are near perfect on a production note.

the best advice you can have is to get a DAW learn it, spend years making tracks, learning from your mistakes and realise just how much effort goes in to it.

you may think it’s easy, download drum samples, massive patches and arrange them into a song but that’s only the first step of a track and you wont get anywhere if you leave it at that.

2 Likes

1 BigUp

So how is it all going Feend?

Can’t download anything because of my reception. I can only do something when I go home. I’m at school most of the time because I live here. I only have breaks and sound fx that I downloaded a month ago but I don’t believe that is enough to make a song. I don’t have any outside plugins. Just the shit that came with reaper. There seems to be nothing but the synth and the stuff to tweak it. I mean, I can put breaks in as midi items and tweak em but that just isn’t enough. I want to make my own music. Not play around with someone else’s. Maybe someone knows a way I can cut out the kicks, snares, etc. from those breaks and fx to put into my inventory since I can’t download anything at the moment.

You’re right. But when I said that, I meant that the music people like him made was extremely simple and not many people recognize that. I was and still am upset that people let musicians get away with making simple music. Though I can’t produce, I can literally come up with a concept for a song that would hit big with the mainstream audience, right now. Stuff that people like KOAN Sound, Asa, and Source Direct can’t be replicated. Knife Party and David Guetta can.

I was only referring to the originality, complexity, and simular sound all of his music has to each other and to other songs by trance or house songs today. Look up a mix and tell me how many songs sound different than the very first song.

But do you really care or are you here for another laugh? Your last comment didn’t seem like it came from someone who wants to help.

Given the circumstances, wouldn’t the options be inextricable from one another?

What are you talking about?

If he just wanted to have a laugh, he would still qualify as someone who really cares because his laughter is contingent on your response.

Ffs man… Lay off it

1 BigUp

I laugh all the time and recommend it man!
I think you need to get your internet access sorted (tethering perhaps) and also alternative sources, buy Computer Music magazine etc. There are lots of free downloads available. Another idea would be to use Fruityloops as it comes with everything you need.

:joy:

you won’t like dubstep then

2 Likes

I hate most of the mainstream dubstep. I like some of the populars like skrillex and Flux Pavilion. But there are too many people out there that sound alike. I also like the original dubstep. The dark stuff like Dem Break by Las and Mikael is sweet. Need more of it.

1 BigUp

Fruity loops ain’t free. If I get the demo then I can’t save my stuff. I guess if I buy one of the cheaper versions then it’ll be fine. Probably gotta get the money myself. My mom isn’t very supportive of this as opposed to being a lawyer or doctor or public speaker.

Have you looked at LMMS?

1 BigUp

Well you could always pirate while you save. I pirated for 5+ years before buying FL.
Wasn’t really saving tbf, but yeah.

2 Likes

A friend of mine told me to look into that, actually. I’m gonna see if I can download it.

It’s an option I hadn’t considered until now. Thanks.