▂ ▅ ▇ █ 爪ㄖㄖ卩 █ ▇ ▅ ▂

i also dont think riddim or anything simillar would ever be its own thing, it will always somthing djs would play occasionly, but i dont think there could be any dj who can play what is basiclly the same shit for 1-2 hours straight

there is a big difference between american hip hop culture and uk sound system culture, even though yes they have similar roots.

You clearly never listened to minimal mondays back in 2012 or so

3 Likes

while I tend to agree with this statement American musicians arent as unaware of proper Dub Reggae as you think. I was first introduced to it by jam band hippies totally outsode the context of rave/edm/etc

1 BigUp

Some US musicians have been aware of both dub / reggae for a while. look at mainstream bands like Sublime or No Doubt. And hippy culture is no stranger to reggae, but that’s beside the point…

My point was that the UK dubstep scene / culture is different than the US dubstep scene for very specific historical reasons which is reflected in the music. And I believe “riddim” is a US phenomena and therefore is coming from a different place than UK dubstep. And you’re going to have unsatisfied expectations if judging “riddim” by UK dubstep standards.

From what I understand, the immigrant Jamaican population in the UK has had a much larger cultural impact on UK culture and music than in the US.

1 BigUp

as I said: In the US, hip hop and soul are the bass music antecedents.

But it took someone with a sound system background to put it all together.

It goes both ways though. Coxsone Dodd used to travel to the US from Jamaica to collect US R&B singles for his soundsystem. When they started to try to create their version of R&b/Soul, Ska happened.

Studio One!! Many tunes were versioned from here.

Ha,ha. I guess you can say many riddims were versioned from Studio One.

Wasn’t ragga->raggamuffin->jungle partially a result of the sound-system culture in places like NY?

1 BigUp

I’m gonna leave this here

(Best song ever written)

Also I’d say dubstep is far more indebted to UK dance music like garage grime and jungle than dub or reggae (yes I know where jungle came from)

Which considering grime comes from garage which is just as influenced by U.S. House as jungle then who knows what that means.

either way riddims got a stupid name and is just another form of mid range cack who you tryna kid??

1 BigUp

If every dubstep style automatically got it’s own genre we’d be up to our eyes in genres. ‘Riddim’ is fucking brostep, simple as that, due to the annoying whiney mid range wubs. it in no way deserves a whole genre to describe it.

1 BigUp

I don’t get it, the tunes posted in this thread just sound like some bait Coki or Kromestar knockoffs from 2011 or so.

5 Likes

This is good

its really not

5 Likes

this is the only “riddim” tune I have ratings for tbh

2 Likes

If by good you mean generic unimaginative shit then yeah.

Again, not really a sub genre and not really anything worth paying attention to.

1 BigUp

thought i’d leave this here…

7 Likes

Like, this shit was fresh

But even that is far more imaginative than most “riddim” these days. this actually has more than one bass patch lol

1 BigUp

jeez bro triple bypass is my favorite megalodon tune
that sub is fucking madness, earthquake ting

true riddim:

2 Likes

Actually don’t think that’s terrible yakna