Jazz Funk / Fusion

This is pretty wild:

Funny story: I went to a concert a Berklee here in Boston last month, one of the sets was introduced with a little speech about “an exciting expansion of jazz in the 70’s blah blah…” basically the professor was doing anything to avoid saying “Fusion” haha, Downbeat had an issue called “The F word” but there was some awesome, interesting music!

Be careful with the F word.

I’ve heard some stories about that Trio of Doom concert if this is the same one in Havana. I heard Jaco was acting really erratically.

Gonna check this out. It sounds good from what little I have heard of it. Even if Tony and John were pissed off at Jaco, when you get musicians of that caliber together, you are still going to get some good music.

Yeah man, I guess he was having issues, and critics have said bad things, but I think this show’s fantastic!. and as a bass player I can say that being mad your band mates can lead to good shows because I pretty much hated them all (their not into dubstep so they’ll never read this haha)

donald byrd let’s go

1 BigUp

really good album

Streaming has savaged my mind and attention span but this album flew by and the last track is faaarkin glorious.

1 BigUp
1 BigUp

RIP

I loved his records.

1 BigUp

One of the most deeply soulful musicians ever I think. I came into jazz through hip hop so he was one of the first OG guys I really gained a special appreciation for. Amazing.

2 Likes