MUTANT DANCEHALL COMPETITION - LISTEN AND VOTE!!

Dude for some reason whenever I try and, let’s say shrink or expand a sample (like for instance there’s a drum loop and I want to take off the end beat) the pencil tool keeps fucking time stretching shit and it’s driving me nuts lol

pretty sure I never use anything except the ‘paint’ option.

Tbh FL is fine, but it just becomes a chore especially on a larger project with a lot of patterns and samples, I’ve learnt more keyboard shortcuts which helps a bit, but still.

Do you mean Logic? I don’t have an iOS device outside of my phone.

1 BigUp

No.

There are actually a ton of good (pro or semi-pro) apps, many of them ported from the desktop versions (like RoughRider, the Eventide reverbs, etc.) that are super cool and capable. The Cubase app (called Cubasis) is pretty robust afaik; there are a bunch of other DAWs at this point as well. Many apps also have Ableton Link capability which I don’t use but understand can be a game changer for someone using Live along with a mobile device.

Problem is that there are a LOT of apps out there to wade thru and many of them suck: a few of them come really close but then don’t play well with other apps - the proliferation of 3rd party devs means that one guy’s implementation of, say, MIDI I/o is not at all on par with another dev for instance.

However, Apple has finally decided to move with cross-platform support, meaning the AU plug you buy for your Mac will also work on a mobile device and vice versa. Currently many App Store versions of AU plugs are significantly cheaper than the previous Mac-only iterations… we’ll seee how long that lasts tho. :relieved:

Other upsides are OG music devs like Bram Bos doing amaaaaazing shit and taking advantage of Touchscreen capabilities to make really playable, ‘musical’ apps.

I’m not a great example but roughly 75-80% of all my tunes [going back at least a decade] have been made on an iPhone, fwiw. I don’t advertise that and will probably wind up deleting this post lol but yeah. Like, I love Reaper but have struggled to have a PC beefy enough to do basic shit sometimes like run 5 plugs simultaneously… and p much NEVER have that issue on my iphone.

In fact, my iphone (SE g2) can handle shit my iPad Air 2 cannot, like FRMS granular synth (sounds soooo good.)

tl;dr iOS is pretty capable of cool shit on a hardware level but the ecosystem is still jank af and has been for a while. It can output “pro audio” standards if you’re willing to do a little bugshooting/experimentation to find out what works.

PS: fuuuuck Logic. It’s always been the least intuitive DAW I’ve ever touched, including PT. That’s saying something. To each their own tho.

3 Likes

Get Reaper

1 sub already bois.

1 BigUp

God damn

1 BigUp

oh shoot this comp is already done? I completely missed it. Cant wait to hear everyones works tho! I’ll probably still try to make one even though im late

Deadline is 9th of July lmao.

1 BigUp

oh lmao misread that as 9th of june and i was like wow we going fast now

Yeh bois im smashing everything into my reaktor alchmey machines, let the algorithms roll

4 Likes

yo FYI the samples download link expired

Re-up incoming

Re-upped the sample pack link in the OP

1 BigUp

I’m on the struggle bus with this one so far lol

Don’t feel bad, I’ve not even started :grimacing:

1 BigUp
  1. Stay away from the acapellas at first.
  2. Start with a beat.
  3. Make a Bassline.
  4. Come up with a couple minor variations for both.
  5. Throw snippets of vox like “Jah!” on top like icing.
  6. ?
  7. Profit.
7 Likes

This lol, exactly what i didn’t do :badteeth: I have a standard 8 bar loop thing going so far tho, hope i get enough time to finish something

1 BigUp

These lyrics are all war. I think that is what sleeps wanted.

Cyan’t find anything irie or about Jah!

2 Likes

No niceties here. Bring your war dubs.

3 Likes