Need a new mixer. Suggestions?

Im using djm400 for 9 years now, its a great dj mixer for begginers because of the bpm screen. You dont need to use it all the time (can be switched off ) but will help you to remember what tempo your tunes are. (im mixing vinyl only and helped a lot) The effects are also a nice addition especially roll and echo. However after years of use they may have some issues with left master out channel. If you can record a song to audacity or cooledit to see if the volume output is the same on L and R channel do it before buying. It also appear on my djm400 and less but still visible on my friends djm400. Secondly I need xlr outs now for my new loud speakers so think if you will also need them in the future. Dont now much about 250 but would prefer to spend money on a brand new mixer from a store. Have bought yamaha10mg for xlrs then changed to zedi 10 to connect with djm 400 and im still not 100%happy. Buying a new mixer can be areal pain.

1 BigUp

Yeah nice one cheers for the input guys, think it’s gonna be the DJM-250mk2, was a good point about the 400 not having split cueing, also a good point was getting something new rather than second hand. Fader and filter seem to be the same as what’s on the 900 Nexus, plus XLR output is what sold it for me.
Was also thinking of the Xone 23c but the one filter control kinda put me off.

A bit gutted I don’t have some reverb to mess around with the dub tunes, but I was gonna have to sacrifice something.

Thanks again for the help :+1: :facepunch:

1 BigUp

I got Rane TTM 57SL for $500 and its a good deal for me.

Dealership Management System Software | Pharma Billing Software

Didn’t want to clutter things up with another thread so necrobumping this one.
I’ve got my turntables serviced and set up (basic duo of Citronics PD1 MK3 I think).
Now I’m in the market for a mixer.

Nothing too fancy
Not overly bothered with FX units
2 channel (but 4 if it’s worth investing in as I might maybe perhaps get CDJs as well one day)
Very durable crossfader (want to teach myself to scratch)
Some way of connecting it to my laptop to record mixes.
Simple but heavy duty, nothing plasticy and cheap.

Been looking at the A&E XZone 23

Worth getting or…

1 BigUp

nah don’t go A&H if you want to scratch, they’re dogshit for that. or at least, all of their old models are. the crossfader curve isn’t sharp enough and they’re just not laid out for that purpose.

imo go on ebay, cop a 2nd hand technics DMC mixer or pretty much any vestax mixer. ÂŁ150ish probably.
DMC mixer is built like a brick shithouse. i dropped mine and it was all good.
vestax aren’t super solid but the faders are nice, they’re laid out very well and they’re mad cheap 2nd hand.

if you really do want heavy duty shit then go buy a rane. shit’s expensive though and a bit overkill if you’re on the casual side of things.

go 2nd hand vestax imo. rag that bitch and sell it on in a year or two for the same price you bought it for, then get a rane or something if you really want.

edit: tbh the xone 23’s specs do look sick, i just checked.
i’ve not used one so can’t confirm the crossfader curve is tight enough for scratching.
for <£250 it sounds like a fucking good deal but yeah, if the curve is loose it’s basically useless for scratching. bear that in mind

1 BigUp

What’s your budget?

If you willing to shell out enough doe for a new high end battle mixer, I’d personally go with a Rane 72, especially if you want to use Serato DJ with visible wav forms on a display on the mixer.

Pioneer DJM-S9 is worth a mention as well, although both are fairly pricey and have numerous memory banks/midi pads which you said you can’t be overly bothered with.

Taking that into consideration and if you want to save a bit of for, I could sell you my Rane TTM-SL72 mixer with a flight case.

It’s battle ready, has heavy duty mag faders, no midi pads, two channels with 4 inputs each that can be changed by a knob, built like a tank mixer, with only ever one owner in a smoke free home and is fully Serato Scratch Live enabled.

1 BigUp

nah quality control on the 23’s is shite, every single one I’ve seen has serious issues after about a year of light use

that’s sad, a&h used to be a guarantee of a certain level of quality

is vestax fully dead now or what? i just googled for vestax mixers and literally can’t find any mixers which aren’t second hand. their only new shit is MIDI controllers??
PMC05/06 are/were perfect for scratching

matey’s 57SL above would be a good purchase.
if it were me i’d be so tempted to go for one of the vestax mixers with EQ faders though. pmc08/37.

this isn’t a bad problem to have anyway - there’s tons of good 2 channel mixers for scratching!

edit: yea vestax has been dead for ages lol
the original guy has started a new company https://stpvestax.com/

whoa, that Stpvx rotary mixer is crazy looking!

edit: looks like it never actually came out? all the info i can find is prototypes from like 2016.

edit2: asked a homie who is a massive nerd about mixers and apaz it actually did come out and was insanely expensive, like $7k+ lol

Not sure of a budget yet, just looking around and reading reviews. What sort of price are you after for the Rane?

DThey’re fairly cheap on Ebay. Some are at $100+ with only 1 bid and 3 days left right now, so I’m guessing I cant ask for much.

However, with flight case around $750. Paid $1400 new at the time.

Not sure if I want to part yet tho, though If i could sell it I could buy a new mixer since I started work recently, but that may take some time.

1 BigUp

Thats Canadian dollars btw.

1 BigUp

Xone 43 all day every day

43 is a 4 channel mixer isn’t it?
I think 2 channel would be fine for what I need

Yeah I’d go 2 channel. You never really need a 4 channel mixer even if you’re going
to play with cdj’s and turntables eventually. I switch between line and phono on my mixer
all the time and it works fine for my mixing. It’s convenient to have 3 or 4 channels, but unless
you do actual three deck mixing you won’t need it at home.

In your case I’d look at an Ecler Hak or a DJM 450. You could also opt for a small Xone, but
I think you’d want to put in an innofader. You can definitely scratch with the factory fader (you can set the curve to hard cut) but I doubt it’ll hold up long.
Maybe also check if someone in your neighbourhood is selling a DJM 909.

This thread was originally bout me. But im gonna recommended the ecler nuo 2.0 I got. I’ve used it every day since I got it with no issues. Technically has 3 channels (2xphono / line) and one (mic / line). It sounds so good with vinyl. Built great too.

For scratching, the fader is pretty good imo (I don’t scratch but it seems to have a p good cut) and can be fitted with an eternal fader.

Thanks dudes. A lot of good info here. Going to do some reading and hopefully shopping tomorrow!

mines alright still

This’n caught my eye…
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rane-TTM-56s-DJ-Mixer/123198519407?hash=item1caf34386f:g:lGsAAOSw~K9bJ7Tr

Anyone have experience/opinion on the Vestax PMC06’s?
The only thing that I don’t like is the lack of midrange EQs

bun having no mids

1 BigUp