New Rustie one got me all emotional

Its not really hate and its not really a deconstruct Rustie thread either. Music is based on taste so its completely opinionated; your opinion is fine and so are everybody elses.

However most people here are quite like minded musically so don’t be surprised if the majority love one tune and hate another. This is just an unfortunate instance where you’re probably in a small minority of people that like the tune… you’ve posted it up for people to comment on. If the majority dislike it, this is the type of thread you’re gunna get.

& this new one is just as bad as anything from glass swords, cmon

Theoretically, yes, and a lot of glass swords is fuckin swag, but realistically, no. He sounds like all the soundclouders who bite him so hard, with worse mix downs than theirs. Purely bad form imo.

This is shit. But it’s like Coki, HudMo etc, those who try something a bit different will often fall flat on their arse but when they get a hit it’s a madness. For my money though the man on point in the more tearout side of things at the moment is K Man

1 BigUp

agreed, Propaine on a system is ridiculous.

1 BigUp

how does 1 go about soft clipping

that soft setting on a compressor?

Not sure if that is soft clipping, but basically soft clipping is where the waves are rounded off rather than chopped off. Here’s a good pic that explains it:

I use Fruity Soft Clipper when I do it. I mix the tune normally to like -8db, then stick that as the last plugin on the master with the threshhold set to about -1db, then use a gain plugin before the softclipper to bring the volume up.

Sounds really nice if you push the soft clipper a bit.

1 BigUp

brap cheers, i had a google and the old threads from here and gearslutz were baffling

yeah the vibe i got was a bit more warmth/ desirable distortion

yes

so in ableton just do as jook said but use ableton’s glue compressor instead of that fruity plug in on the master? dank

might give that a go, gave up on self mastering stuff with limiters cos it sounded squished and fucking shit

concentrate on your mix, not on your mastering. if you have a top notch sounding mix it for the first was already enough to just put a limiter on the masterchannel and boost it whatsoever amount of db before it starts tickling the limiters process. whatsoever amount of db is still ‘missing’ then will be compensated by the gain knob on a mixer etc…

edit: and i dont know if you should do it like he said, depends on what you wanna do with it. if you wanna use it to ad color or just because you dont want to brickwall limit your material

1 BigUp

Putting limiters on the master :facepalm:

4give me,

but i saw some artists i rate and people more experienced on forums saying they’d wack on something like a limiter to give it a bit of pump for dubs to play out, obviously not as a finished product you’d expect someone to pay for

gave it a go and didn’t like it at all, gave it a go on an exported version too and wasn’t a big fan of that either

Mastering is largely redundant for a bedroom producer. $50 for an extra couple of db on the hats? lol.

lol mr. pro engineer, show me your mad sounding productions and also tell me what limiters are for

oh thanks

i’ll put the limiter back on then

u’ve saved me a pretty penny sir

2 Likes

Straight to negative six and export is alright too.

2 Likes

That’s soft knee. That’s a different thing all together.
It sounds more transparent

I got so confused by this post I thought “negative six” was a plugin or something then I realised you meant -6dB :cornlol:

allow me