Now we're all here

Fair, I’m almost certain I’ve read that they’ve claimed to have invented techno.

1 BigUp

You can’t use them as the only starting point. You have to filter them though Electrifying Mojo’s Midnight Funk Association, Italo Disco, New Wave, drum machines and cheap electronics, the urban environment etc.

I mean, even NYC Electro/Hip-Hop was picking up off them.

There was a point where Electro and Hip-Hop collided. You could almost say that Electro was a precursor to Techno.

1 BigUp

This was an important Detroit record that was released in 1981.

1 BigUp

Electro was a precursor of techno, absolutely. Kraftwerk precedes electro too, that’s what I’m saying. I mentioned Juan Atkins, who started electro/early techno group Cybotron with Richard Davis (3070).

But yeah there are purely non-electronic influences like Miles Davis’ jazz fusion (Bitches Brew, et al), P-Funk, other kinds of music that went into influencing it, but on the electronic side of things, Kraftwerk, and maybe YMO, played a large part of influencing the sound.

And of course the sound was also influenced by how the instruments worked, with the way Moog and other pioneers of synthesizers and drum machines, influenced the sound, but again Kraftwerk were the ones to play the instruments in this way.

See, that is where the Electrifying Mojo came into play, spinning on Detroit radio playing all kinds of stuff that drew it all together.

1 BigUp

Yeah, I’m agreeing with you. Cybotron were Electro.

Thank you for reminding me of the anumberofnames track. I forgot the artist and for the longest have been trying to find it.

1 BigUp

This is a 1980 Italo Disco track that most likely helped influence the Detroit kids.

Here is the B side:

don’t think they’d agree with that tbh
i think it was stingray who said it’s dumb when people call the detroit stuff anything other than “techno” and that electro was just a form of hip hop. but you know, opinions

My super simplistic distinction is that house sounds like machines trying to make funk, while techno sounds like machines embracing the fact that they’re machines.

Man, Stingray is one of the most Electroist DJ’s out there and I think he would agree with me. But yeah, at one point Electro and Hip-Hop were synonymous.

But really, you just have to compare it to the sounds coming out at the time.

1 BigUp

just came here to say that Stingray is one of my all time OG don dada favourites. alongside DJ Bone maybe.

that’s why i mentioned him. apparently he hates when people call that sound electro. cba to find the interview atm tho

I agree with those Stingray opinions. However, i’d also call him Electro at times. It’s just the Electro style of House and Techno to me.

Coming back to the original topic, IMHO House is groove-oriented, while Techno has more of a drive than a groove. As in MorrisJessle’s description:

I think of techno as being a sound that pushes you within, and house
being one that brings you out. Like I never think of other people moving
when I think of techno, but when I hear house I’m filled with mental
images of people dancing together and around each other. Like, one’s
creating space and the other fills it, type of thing.

also

what’s like baltimore and jersey club, how’s that defined

is it like those tracks that aren’t quite 4 x4 kicks but more like boom boom du dun dun dun?

Kinda. I Jersey is more like that and generally more like traditional house, imo. Baltimore uses more breakbeats.
Gang Fatale are kinda Jersey-esque. Here’s a brief exploration

Baltimore’s a bit more like "Don’t Change For Me"

More cities/areas should have a musical genre named after them.
Nieuwekerk a/d IJssel beat. It sounds odd now I know.