Post your first dubstep experiences here!

First tunes I heard:
Skream - Midnight Request Line and Benga - Flame

First rave:
Skream in 2007. I was going to D&B nights primarily, but saw him play in Room 2 of some night. Then saw Benga, Hatcha, Youngsta, Joker and Digital Mystikz vs Loefah at various different nights very soon afterwards.

Yeah it’s decent but IMHO Low Deep has better tracks such as Upside Down.

i feel like a pleb sometimes, im not rly a true head coz i first got into it around the time like fabriclive 37 came out and i went and saw what i believe it was The Others and Caspa or someone back in ibiza, and got into them and Skream, Coki etc for a short while.
then i had a short brostep phase excision datsik etc for like a few months and moved on from there back to guitar music
then like id say about 4-5 years ago i got back into electronic music and really got into 140 stuff again and went from there to where i am now lol

Started with skrillex when I was about 11 or 12 ( 2011 or 12) and slowly worked my way back. Had a long excision and datsik phase. Began to like artists like 16bit. Heard some tunes by caspa and rusko from recommendations in YouTube. Eventually made it back to Skream and Benga and realized that that “old” sound was still being made today and here I am.

1 BigUp

I guess it was something like 2007. Internet was pricey here, watching a single YouTube clip could cost you the money I pay for a month of internet now. So, those guys on a local EDM forum were exchanging .zip files in some hacky ways. I downloaded one, and listened to it. It was Kromestar http://www.discogs.com/Kromestar-Ghostship-EP/release/910419

I can vividly remember I didn’t like it at all. It sounded weird. Just like the guy forgot to actually make the music. But then I found myself thinking about it more and more. Shortly afterwards I was listening to Burial, Dubstep Allstars and all that stuff. And parties, oh how I miss those parties where everybody were moving in crazy ways trying to show how good they are at feeling that crawling bass drop of “Examination of time”.

Oh, the good old days.

I first smoked crack on the back of the bus aged in about 2008 (year8 /9 times), everyone used to sit on the back of the bus and blast out niche bassline choons like that jamie duggan shit. one day this geeza played benga n coki - night so we all sparked the crackpipes up n threw bottles at the bus driver. i duno if that counts as a rave but it was sick init

5 Likes