Production Thoughts

yeah I think it depends on the situation. no shame in using presets at all imo but I do find some fun and pride in making patches esp for sort of signature sounds like big lead or bass sounds in a song that will be particularly recognizable. I don’t think there’s much reason to push yourself to craft every single bit from scratch though if it gets in the way of making music, that’s why presets and sound libraries exist. but it can be a fun way to challenge yourself to improve at sound design. sometimes it’s better to set aside making a song though and just focus on making patches if that’s the goal. otherwise trying to design a patch from nothing is a big interruption to making the song. I like to make patches when I have shorter periods of time just to mess with a synth but not enough time to really get into flow mode with song creation

and a lot of presets have way too much fx and need some tailoring to fit in the mix well but it’s just so much easier to tailor something that’s already 90% there.

2 Likes

good timing

2 Likes

beauty hahah! just started messing around with making my first max patches, going to spend some time learning this but after some reading I think ultimately I’ll probably move to using JUCE for making standalone plugins down the road. still great to know I’ll have the option to turn Max projects into VST3/AU plugins as well though

1 BigUp

only thing that’s not so great is RNBO is still a separate $420 CAD purchase even if you have the paid version of Max… lol… but I guess people need to be compensated for their work after all

1 BigUp

Wow… RNBO. This might make me switch back to Max from Reaktor.

1 BigUp
5 Likes

Good sample. Thicc.

1 BigUp

i wish abletons spectrum had an option to show different channels frequency bands by color

1 BigUp

Creative activity, as distinct from productive activity, proceeds from the liberty and individuality that unfurl only in conditions that are external (to them).

Y’all ninjas already know that I’m learning how to make dubstep. Now, please know that I will beginning my study of Psalms. As far as I know Psalms is songs. Have a blessed Tuesday. :bluethumb:

4 Likes

Action breeds motivation

3 Likes

That last bit you shared sounded wicked Ryan kinda like drexciya

Just bought KrushPro from Tritik. 35% discount was nice.
I’ve had the standard Krush for ages and use it on everything. Been eyeing the Pro version for a while.

@Phigure I created this 32 bar loop and thought it would be cool to hear it through the Roland RE-201. I was gonna run it through a demo of Arturia Delay RE-201 but I thought it would be cooler to just post it on dsf as is. Its a couple subtle waveforms with LFOs on the resonance, a distortion VST for added heaviness, and limiting EQ.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jX74sT-XHoMHQdOn2Y6ebBXyT22uquF5/view?usp=sharing

Man just get reason n be done with all vst / plugins!

1 BigUp

Yeah maybe. But you get used to what you use innit. Dont feel like changing my entire workflow etc at this point.

link says access denied, but my 201 is currently out of service because my dumb ass likes working on gear more than i actually like using it

1 BigUp

Ye same. Can’t access the link

music is dead in 2022, gear is not

2 Likes

but 4 real, what music isn’t completely rinsed now? its kinda crazy, it really feels like the room for experimentation is microscopic or even subatomic

i feel like the playground of visual/audio/performative/ai? stuff is the only unexplored territory and even that has been covered pretty comprehensively

touchdesigner has been scratching my itch but it still feels like its a well trodden landscape

1 BigUp