Production Thoughts

That lead hi-hat deals :spades:

I put an effect on a 90s hit song.

2 Likes

I usually will write and mix into a limiter to start and I feel like that gets me close. Then later on I take the limiter off and make sure it’s peaking around -6db

Lots of bass on this practice jam. randomizers/ bass sampling re-sampling EQing mastering/ simple drums

Dang the volumes way lo but it’s bass so carefull with that stuff.

4 Likes

'Art should grasp the mind the way the vagina grasps the penis -Marcel Duchamp

For the Pad Competition i want to create a pad using this kind of Orchestral Hit effect found in Super Mario 64. Here is the remastered version. Can i get some help with this one?

My tunes are always quiet too, I’m not sure what I’m doing. Pretty sure it’s all in the mix. It also usually sounds louder when I’m playing it through the daw vs the exported version

1 BigUp

Most released music nowadays is way too loud… The loudness wars are still alive n kicking tbh… There’s no way to maintain a reasonably dynamic master and have your tracks loudness wise stand up to most stuff coming out. Just my 2 penneth !!

1 BigUp

An aside, I wouldn’t let it bother you !!

Entirely genre dependent in my experience.

1 BigUp

Yes you are right,

I should have said Dance music tbh in that meaning Dubstep/DnB/House + Techno

I got a master back a while back and felt offended, nearly didn’t pay but just thought better of it and won’t use that engineer again.

2 Likes

Yeah same.
Even compared to the other dudes on this forum, my stuff is always waaay quieter. I always think my shit is obvious in a production comp coz it’s a lot less loud than the rest of the subs :lol_og:

Also this guy has a lot of good vids, this one is a decent masering one. Covers the loudness thing pretty quickly but worth a watch. Doesn’t go super techy and is not full of industry-speak.

Lol that’s exactly what I always think. My tracks are always noticeably quieter Tham everyone else’s I feel.

I want the song I’m working on right now to have good dynamics, and even though the quiet part is less loud db wise on the master, it doesn’t really feel quieter than the loud parts.
I really think it has to do with muddiness in the mids atm so I’ll have to mess with that.

I’ll check out the dudes videos too. I’ve watched a ton on mixing and mastering, and read the whole tome on old dsf, still fucking suck at it tho

1 BigUp

Yeah me too haha. I still can’t use a compressor.

So sick
I wish these were longer and more in-depth tho

2 Likes

been on a DJ Rashad vibe lately

3 Likes

I try to aim for it nevertheless!

1 BigUp