Production Thoughts

oh shit yea that looks cool af actually

wasn’t hating it just seemed random for a program that works with DAWs

1 BigUp

Yeah it’s really fun

Used it on a few videos

2 Likes

I’m thinking… you could combine those two softwares. Polymeter midi stuff sent to visuals.

1 BigUp

Been messing around with more syncopation, odd meters and poly stuff btw. Made some progress with the process of making weird synth riffs, by combining a note pattern sequencer with a regular step sequencer for triggering the gate of a Thor.

At the top, I have a Redrum drum machine running a 64 steps pattern in 1/16 triplet time. This pattern is triggering the Thor synth at the bottom via gate signals. The highlighted squares indicate which steps are triggered.

Below that, I’m using the Matrix Pattern Sequencer to choose what notes will be played by the Thor synth, as well as sending a CV signal to control the release time of the amp envelope of the Thor. It runs in regular 1/16 time, and loops after 28 steps.

Combining these two gives very interesting results, since the rhythm of the riff stays the same, but which notes are triggered, changes over time.

Here’s an audio example. I tried to add 0,5 sec silence at the beginning to avoid Soundcloud cutting the first beat, but sounds like it didn’t do much…

So, as you can hear, it sounds pretty random, but still controlled. I chose notes that would fit together tonally, regardless of what order you play them in (basically only notes from the same mode/scale).

This stuttering semi-randomness might, by itself, be a bit too much for most people to appreciate, but with an added 4/4 beat, it makes much more sense. Here’s an example of that. Had to turn everything down because I was smashing the limiter on the master channel. Also, the synth timbre is a bit different. Apart from that, it’s the exact same pattern.

Here is another pattern with added drums, where the synth melody pattern and the drum pattern are both looping after 36 steps, in 1/16 time. This is mainly to illustrate how the loop sounds “normally”. You can hear that it loops 4 times.

Here is that same melody pattern, but with a 4/4 beat and a simple bass patch, to illustrate a more musically useful application. Everything plays in 1/16 time, but since the melody pattern is 36 steps long, it starts to become skewed over the other things after one loop, creating a polymeter.

All of these are really just examples to show my process. You can of course make much simpler things than this, or way more complex.

4 Likes

Love this.

1 BigUp

pulled this out of a rubbish pile at work

had a broken LCD display so opened it up and found that the ribbon cable attached to the LCD board was loose

connected the cable properly and the screen works again lol

gonna test the ins and outs and if it all works will take it home to replace the annoying soundcraft mixer we have atm

11 Likes

oh yeah, it has the meter bridge too

also took out the LCD board cos the display works but has lost a lot of contrast so gonna try replacing the caps on that board which might help and is cheaper than buying a replacement panel

3 Likes

love that… electronics are such mysterious black boxes to most people, the tiniest thing will get them thrown out cause no one looks to see what it even is

1 BigUp

Tbh my ohms law is rusty af but luckily for me my colleague is a proper electronics engineer, apparently we need to replace the special capacitor in the switching psu circuit on the lcd board, cos when we turn the contrast knob it only starts to do anything when u get close to one end of it’s range, which he reckons is because the voltage output from the cap is off and no longer has the range it needs

3 Likes

Making some 200bpm hardcore with Big L samples

3 Likes

The more I play with this stuff the more i realize, i AM dubstep_warrior.

5 Likes

That’s not a title u want

4 Likes

Or is it? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

I think Masons conservative views would quite nicely overlap Ryan religous stance tbf

If I turn a sliced amen break (in the slice machine on digitakt- chopped into qtr bars)
When I tune it down into -5.63 it makes this well cool halftime clown step shit
Bpm at 170

I’m more into that clownc0re stuff.

oh SHIET

2 Likes

saw the album art on the clown core thing and at first glance thought you were posting some old Gulls stuff but no, just really poor DSF trollism

4 Likes

I mean stuff like this

Love this tune, so good to scratch along to

1 BigUp

im gonna use this as a racial slur

2 Likes