Production Thoughts

What’s happening there? It’s just an IG link

It wasn’t your IG link. That was just the last post in the thread.

It’s that other link further up in the thread.

1 BigUp

Lol poor comfy box. I lurked on the site a bit. I’m pretty sure those downloads are legit. They seem pretty chill. I’m thinking I might go ahead and download some of those packs at some point

Maybe someone has a burner laptop they can use just in case…

I chatted to him on the gram the other night.
I asked if he was ok he said yes but not well.
We had a nice chat.

1 BigUp

Not tryna shit on the tools, but if you know how New York parallel compression is done, I don’t see why you’d need a preset for it. But then again, if it’s faster and easier, and sounds good, then why not use it?

1 BigUp

I know what it does but as I’ve said before compression confuses the heck out of me so I’ll use a preset that I know achieves the result I need.

1 BigUp

You might think this dude is a total cringe speng, but he explains how to “listen” to compression, and how to use it, pretty well in this video. It all of course boils down to just going really slow and listen to the effect compression has on a signal, and make a decision on wheter you think it sounds better or worse.

This methodology of just slowing things down while you work, is applicable to anything you want to learn.

I have possibly already linked this to you, when I think about it… Might be hard to actually hear any difference unless you have good monitoring.

1 BigUp

I got a new laptop finally. Once I finish moving everything over, I’ll give it a go

2 Likes

Ive watched this SO many times, and I just dont hear it :crying:

1 BigUp

Most compressors have a wet/dry knob these days.

1 BigUp

i use this guys theory at the end makes sense. it gives a familiar sound to drums etc because people used these settings for years on analog compressors and stays in my mind alot easier

attack times i only use 1ms agressive lets no transients through, 10ms lets sharp snappy transients through and 30ms punchy sound good for kick drums or drum bus but also could use 10ms.

release times 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 basically just double just use whatever one sounds good for you.

most of the time i just use a soft clipper so much easier and if the sound is too agressive as in the clipper extends and amplifies the tail of the kick. i use a compressor to shape it so its more snappy/punchy

compressors are fucking confusing but i recomend giving this video a watch and save it to a playlist or something. even i dont fully understand lol so take my advice with a pinch of salt and do i want to understand compressors even more than this? no i cant be fucking bothered with it let sound engineers deal with that shit

btw kryptic minds hardly use any compressors if makes you feel better i watched one of there interviews years ago

2 Likes

Compressors confuse le as I have posted many many times. Let’s see if this one finally clicks it.

1 BigUp

If not this one might do the trick, a short watch if you have the time (prob. repost but w/e)

1 BigUp

Been making an inventory of all of my gear after the move, so much stuff lol.

Synths etc.

Yamaha Motif 6
Yamaha CP10
Roland D-110
Roland TR-505 Rhythm Composer
Roland SoundCanvas SC-88 ST
Korg M3R
Korg MS2000
Korg Volca Beats
Korg Kaossilator
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotribe
Korg Monotron Duo
Korg Monotron Delay
Korg Wavedrum Oriental
Korg Microkorg (with Cuckoo signature patches)
Korg Electribe S mkII
Korg Electribe EMX-1 SD
Teenage Engineering OP-1
Doepfer Dark Energy III
Casio SA-10
Kawai K4r
Alesis D4 16 bit Drum Module

Instruments

Landola C-20 classical guitar
Eagle electric guitar
Dean electric bass (lefty stringed)

Audio gear

Tannoy Reveal monitors (x2)
Technics SL-1200MK2 (x2)
Kenwood KR-A3080 amp
Mackie 1604-VLZ PRO
Allen & Heath XONE:22
NAD 613 stereo cassette deck
Teac 32-2B reel to reel tape machine
Zoom H2n
Zoom H6
Akai ME30P MIDI Programmable Patch Bay

Pedals & Effects

Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss RE-20 Space Echo
Electro-Harmonix Cathedral Stereo Reverb
EBS Sweden Drive Me Crazy
Coolmusic Versatile Chorus
Behringer FX100 Digital Multi-FX
Behringer UM300 Ultra Metal
Boss RV-1000 Digital Reverb
Yamaha E1010 Analog Delay

My plan is to set up the Mackie as my main mixer, then run some of the effects through the send loops, then record straight to the NAD cassette deck, or possibly the Zoom H6.

The Electribe EMX-1 works great as a drum machine and main sequencer, since it can also output MIDI. Using the Akai MIDI patch bay, I recon I don’t have to resort to any daisy-chaining between devices.

5 Likes

Left handed gang

1 BigUp

I’m not. Bought that bass off a friend who needed money for a flight ticket. It’s pretty mindfucky to play upside down, but it’s possible.

Punkest bass around.

yea thats a cool lookin bass. ive still got a 100 quid jazz bass knockoff its fucking heavy af

I hope you’ve got insurance.

I’m still in the transport union, even though I’m unemployed. There’s some basic home insurance included. 130 NOK/month, not too shabby.

2 Likes