Production Thoughts

I usually put a really short reverb on my kicks in the upper mids and it fills the sound out nicely

1 BigUp

Thanx for the tip, but someone on reddit told me that Bluecat LateReplies does exactly what I thought I was looking for, and then some. Haven’t had the time to play around with the idea lately though. But LateReplies is very interesting to put on just about anything you can think of.

I came across it because I wanted a boomy noise under one of my kicks on a drop but didn’t want to fuck about eq’ing another sample to fit under the kick.
So I chucked a huge 100% wet reverb on the kick and it was perfect.

Then I put a small bit of reverb on the rest of the kicks and now I don’t know why I didn’t do this ages ago.

i put a really small amount (in varying amounts) of a room reverb (on a send) on all the drums in the same track, helps glue things together a little since they are all sharing the same space/reverb. On the send I usually put an EQ after the reverb so none of the bass returns back and usually do a really gentle high shelf to keep the high end under control.

fun tip for this sort of set up: if your wide reverb is on a send, put a gentle sidechain compressor after the reverb and use the kick as the sidechain signal, keeps the kick punchy and you add a bit more movement to the wide areas of the mix

3 Likes

Tfw when u realize openRCT2’s 4x game speed mode sounds p gut

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByKESNvhRch/?igshid=18ctkjn2kfnw6

Gonna sample it properly soon, 2 busy building

4 Likes

I use different amounts of different vsts on all my drums so I don’t use sends tbh.
Seems weird to me to use the same settings on different drums.
I like some of my drums to be dry, some to be reverb, some with heavy eq, some without. Puts them all in different spaces to give it all some life.

word

understanding when to use sends vs inserts and when to combine both is the truth tho

I’m not saying to only use sends for all fx on everything, just saying to use a send to treat the drum kit together on a tiny amount of send % after all the other processing. Puts all the different sounds in one room together; its a subtle effect but powerful.

trust me, i’ve been adding fx and reverbs to everything against the rules for a long time now, and there are no rules, only tips and advice. some of the tips will make your life easier tho: learn to send!!! such a powerful tool

2 Likes

Easy with the ninja edits I’m trying reply here haha.
I’ve read a bit about sends, I know how to technically do them in my daw, just never saw the point due to the reason I said above.
I guess it’s like learning to drive without an instructor. You’ll probably do it well enough but you’ll pick up loads of bad habits.

And I still haven’t learned compression yet.
I need a full time tutor and an extra day in the week!!!

I’ll have a Google in a bit and read some stuff.

Gated reverb on everything at 10 FTW :middlefingas:

Lol

Phull Phil Collins Drum Stylee

1 BigUp

I’ve always used compressors on inserts rather than sends. Most of my compressors have a wet/dry knob these days, so if I wanted to do parallel compression I can.

yeah i dont really use compressors as they are meant to be used on sends unless its for an effect like like really heavy ott compression or sidechaining another effect etc

def better suited as an insert most of the time

Don’t compressors get misused a lot just to squash everything down so it can all be louder?

I use them to catch wayward peaks or soft notes like from a bass guitar or drums and to level everything out.

I mean more for kids music, like what passes for dubstep these days. That midrangey screechy shit. Don’t they just super compress everything sacrificing their dynamic range for the sake of volume? Using a compressor as a louderizer.

I usually just keep an eye on my master channel to make sure there’s no errant peaks. It’s long I suppose, a little compressor would probs save me that job.

That is usually a limiter but compressors and limiters are related; when you turn the ratio all of the way up on a compressor it becomes a limiter.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-dynamics-processors-whats-difference

1 BigUp

Gotcha. Thanks for the link, bookmarked for later education :+1:

compression is an extremely valuable tool

if you’ve enjoyed anything released over the past 70 years or so, there were compressors involved

i think what you are thinking of is the “LOUDNESS WARS” aka limiting everything to shit to gain headroom.

proper compression is a subtle artform (which i still have very little understanding of overall tbh, my ears arent that good) and it can really make things come alive in your tracks, they arent really meant to just be set at the most extreme settings all the time to squash things haha

1 BigUp

think you might enjoy this, put some headphones on and dig in:

this guy’s channel in general is a wealth of really fun info tbh, dont mind the cheesy “produce like a pro” naming

1 BigUp

Bingo. Exactly that.

Will check the man’s video out. Especially if it’s “fun info”. I get lost in those really dry neckbeard production vids. I lose interest (because it’s too techy for me and I don’t understand it) by that’s my failing.

I’m in this cavernous museum and I’m like man fuck the art, listen to the reverb tails… over 2 seconds in some spots. :smashedlol:

Wish I could get after hours access to make some impulses.

1 BigUp