Production Thoughts

The more i use Surge, the more i love it

1 BigUp

Share some patches :honeybee:otch!

You think I should re-download it? I got it working right after they announced that it was open source but I think there has been a lot of work put into since then.

There’s an actual UI now, although it’s still barebones.

1 BigUp

Mine has a UI but it was the original one from more than 10 years ago and seemed a bit small.

Trying to install surge, but it didn’t place any .dll files in the location I installed it to. I usually make a shortcut that I place in a folder structure where I’ve sorted all my plugins etc. What gives? Only an uninstall.exe and .dat file as far as I can see.

Maybe installed in a 32 bit location?

Yeah, something like that. Re-installed, set file location to my main instruments folder and now the vst3-version shows up! Woop.

There’s a big enclosed car lock where i work for bringing in new admissions to the secure unit, and theres a sports hall, and both have fucking awesome acoustics for reverb.
They sound really rich and huge.
I would love to record sounds in there. Sometimes I stand in there just tapping and hitting things or rattling my keys.

1 BigUp
1 BigUp

Could you just use one of those little sony field recorders and record you hitting stuff?
Would that pick up the sound enough for it to be usable in a track?

I’ve seen/heard a lot of sample packs recorded using those Sony things (d50?) and the samples sound decent

did you read the article or no?

Yeah I did and it seems like a lot of equipment.
I know he used a Sony field recorder, but all the other stuff… is it all necessary if you just wanted to record a few one shots?, not just the reverb tails but the source sound as well

trust me i thought the same: “why not use FX settings tailored to each sound instead of hoping the same setting works with different sounds”

the answer is that if you have 9 different reverb spaces behind all ur drums, bass etc sounds it’ll probably sound like a mess but if you send tracks out to the same bus you get A) independent control of just the reverb sound with a whole fader/channel B) you can put sounds together in a space

Specifically for quickly making drums feel nice and physical I’d strongly reccomend sends over inserts

5 Likes

yeah exactly, and you can still tastefully use an insert on a certain sound you really want to be contrastingly different etc

1 BigUp

if you just want to record one shots then all you need is a recorder that will provide the results you want, i use my phone all the time since it works totally fine and its not like im recording foley effects to be used in film/game sound design, usually just getting ambience and percussive sounds in good sounding spaces like youre trying to do

its super fun tbh, most of the pads in my tunes come from cell phone recordings

3 Likes

That makes a lot of sense tbh, i get it now.
I really only use a touch of reverb on my hats and rims and some more on my snare. Don’t usually have a ton of drums so never really thought about clashing reverb…

That’s all I want really. Was thinking of getting a sony recorder but I may just try my phone and save some ££

haha not gonna tell u how to do ur tunes but also imo loads of reverb on drums, send a lot to the bus then just turn it down after

just use a mid/side eq on the verb afterwards and you can tuck the reverb easily into just the right spot. When you a/b with/without reverb like that you’ll be shocked at how much more convincingly the drums bang

3 Likes

Well I know what I’ll be doing all friday night now
:nerd_face:

1 BigUp

Also

Doesn’t take the labor out of creating IR’s but the price is right and Melda is solid.