Random dubstep-related thoughts

late here, but ban

3 Likes

youre forgetting timbaland

some of timbos shit is JUST joker

also wtf i seem to remember you being around for a bit sleepwalk how the fuck do u not know any of this lol, was fairly big when it was big

1 BigUp

that is correct, I am totally forgetting Timbaland, my bad, that ayo tech instrumental is fucking ridiculous

Big Timbaland vibes on this one

1 BigUp

I remember Joker, and the sound. Just didnā€™t know there was a whole named sub-genre attached to it.
I didnā€™t like it back then either so I guess I stayed away and never learned about it.

this now the convince sleepwalk that purple can be good thred

2 Likes
1 BigUp

Nope and nope.

my fav joker ridd

i remember back on the old forum, joker said he didnā€™t have a copy of this ep, so i sent him one of my doubles. got a load of wavs in return. dunno where the fuck those wavs are now but i still have the dubs i cut from them.
think i even paid postage. i shoulda rinsed him for at least Ā£10 tbh.

5 Likes
1 BigUp
2 Likes

IMO Purple was one of the most well-rounded subgenres of dubstep when it was big. It aged well too. I think a lot of us (and the genre as a whole) could benefit from taking the slight risk of sounding a bit bro or over the top.

4 Likes

gemmy had a few underrated purple gems (dadpun intended)

3 Likes

this has been kinda nice revisiting some purple tbh, even if sleepwalker remains unaffected

this one is soo gully, crazy weight

2 Likes

Damn I missed the purple chat anyways def trying toput my imprint on the scene. Just trying to make sexy melodies.

2 Likes

I remember seeing on a dubstep documentary some years ago (it was filmed around the genreā€™s pre-mainstream heyday) that described dubstep as ā€œinfluenced a lot by hip hopā€. Pretty obvious point to a lot, but listening to this track from last year really reminded me of dubstep, not only in its structure / drum programming, but also its ā€œdreadfulā€ atmosphere.

http://classic.beatport.com/track/alert-winter-hate-original-mix/9583086
(beatport link sorry)

Code 46ā€™s 2nd drop is where the drop for Badman VIP comes from and Badman VIP is not nearly as good

1 BigUp

code 46 is bae