Starting a label - tips

Wanting to start a label this Yeah anyone got any tips mostly going to be digital releases although with proper online distro @cyclopian???

Hit up Benny Imajika.

I started a net label of sorts in 2012 - had good success mostly self distroing -pushing bandcamp over other channels but making releases available in juno/spotify etc. I actually made 2-3x more on the free/pay what you want than when charging. Go figure.

Make sure you are releasing music for the right reasons, you need to have vision of what you are trying to achieve rather than just the idea of having your own label and the benefits that brings (even though it’s usually part of it).

You can distro via most online stores yourself with little hassle, but there are lots of digital distributors that will do it for you for a % - i have never used these so can’t recommend any in particular. It’s when dealing with physical shops you cant distribute yourself unless you treat it like a full time job (most shops will do sale or return but only viable really for your local shops). When i put out a record in 2015 (still not put out a 002) i was lucky Fent Plates handle everything from mastering to press to distro.

PR is something you need to put time and effort into, learn to build relationships with blogs/mags, send promos personally, actually had a lot of success due to youtube channels picking up tunes and linking to the release.

Don’t expect to make money, it’s more work than you think and most labels fail. But do put out music if you are passionate about it and you think it deserves a release.

2 Likes

Great help cheers man

I would but havimg dealing with deepnezz previously they were belle long