Studio Monitors vs Headphones [Tutorial]

You live and you learn. Its fun though. When people have an opinion other than my own it give me something to think about. You never know. Once I think about it a bit my opinion might change.

I think next I will do an EQ tutorial for beginners. Should be hard to find conflict over that. Just stick to how they work and then I might go out of my way to find something more complicated to add at the end so even some of you more experienced guys have something to read.

As long as there isn’t “When Eq’ing make sure to boost here by x amount and here by x amount” it’s alway cringey to see tutorials tell you what do.

I can get on board with “boosting here can make a sound feel fuller, but too much in this area can make a sound feel wooly etc” Those are always nice :slight_smile: the pro’s and con’s of each area, not “this frequency is the devil, avoid!!!” :joy:

LMAO I know what to include.

Better question? Are there still newbies around here? From the looks of it there just seems to be few vets!

I’m sure there is some lurking

yeah man, def feel this and understand it

knowing your gear and how it translates is always going to be more important than just inherently having nicer gear

mix on monitors and just use headphones near the end to check for weird shit going on imo

my new place is fucked, bedroom is almost a perfect cube so idk what im gonna do. if i clap i get a hilarious slapback delay for almost like 4-500ms. i doubt it would even sound decent if i spent a bunch on bass traps, absorption, etc

I find kicks difficult to mix on headphones too. I often over compensate and make em super loud or too boomy

Just hang some.soft stuff on the walls I think will stop that.

I’m not sure if it’s even worth it tho

You know how much is too much? I know you need to hear everything clearly have having a perfect room would be awesome! Do you really need all of that though? You can get by on much less.

Saying that if I was to put something out now. I would book time in a studio to mix it down.

I was just listening to something I released way back when I was 19. I would change loads of it sound design wise but my overall mix is pretty decent… and I made it on a cheap pair of headphones.