Stuff That Should Be Improved

dickman figured this one out

again,

what functionality you talking about, the emails thing?

Thanks, still not working though. I think I’ll just make a new account, or just not bother using the forum.

It was more than just the spam, there were problems with the user db. Odd things happening with logins, admin actions, etc. Plus the thing looked like it was straight out of the nineties.

There’s loads of cool features of Discourse I’m still getting my head round, worth checking here: How to Change Username for more info. The ’ @111 ’ functionality is dope. And the desktop notifications for alerts is pretty sick as well. And that glorious quoting system.

The pages vs scroll issue, I’m kind of on the fence, at first I hated it, but the more I use it, the more I don’t want to go back to numbered pages. It was always annoying when someone made the last post on a page and it got ignored.

get me.

I actually prefer this on here, it gives you a summary of the post that the word you’re looking for was found in. Will make finding links and tunes in the mega threads easy. That + single page is pretty good imo.

Would definitely be a nice idea to alternate colours for differentiation, without signatures it could do with more definition.

I’m pretty sure that can’t happen.

If it ain’t for you, then it ain’t for you.

1 BigUp

Who were you on the old one? pretty sure I can change your name if you havent worked it out yet.

• Sorry -_-_-_- / @111, but usernames now can only contain numbers, letters and underscores. The name field offers varieties of UTF8 characters.

• About zebras pattern for posts - we’ll see what can be done.

Of course there are big differences between the old and the new forum: many features are missing, but many are new here. We will try to re-introduce some old stuff, but some of them will stay as things of the past because of fundamentally different concepts between these two forums. Until you figure it out what is new, you will probably complain, but before you do, just ask yourself what would it look like if we made a switched from Discourse to phpBB after 10 years of Discourse? The same thing: “Where is an option to answer on the topic/PM using mail only?”, “Where are avatars on the topic list?”, “Why don’t we have community moderation?”, “How can I tag or invite person to a discussion?”, “Where are user cards?”, “This thing is not usable on my phone nor tablet!”, “I want to drag&drop attachments to posts, not to use 90’s way of uploading files!”, “How to easy quote things?”, “We want badges…” etc. etc.

As I said, we’ll try to bring some old features back, but first give this forum a chance, maybe it will surprise you in a good way.

3 Likes

follow these 3 simple steps:

This shit is so much better than numbered pages imo. I find it easier to look for older posts in large threads this way.

I must be the only one that prefers numbered pages.

I liked being able to see when a thread had new pages of content and then you could re-read old comments before seeing the new posts. Now you’re shot directly to your last viewed post and you have to scroll back up to familiarize with the conversation again. Plus, the gif/pictures threads seem to take a while to load all the content. There are certainly some great features but I’m not at all sold with these rolling pages.

Is this something that could be changed? I’m not asking you to change it, I just want to know if that option is there.

3 Likes

no, this can’t be changed, afaik

Well, it’s a forum, it should be for everyone really. I spend half my life working on computers and using websites and I’ve got to say that this is one of the least intuitive platforms for discussion which I’ve used, honestly. Just my opinion.

Infinite scroll is tolerable on a half decent desktop or laptop but if you’re on an old machine or a phone then it can be slow as hell, especially if there’s loads of embedded videos. Intercepting ctrl-F isn’t cool however you look at it IMO - it’s a browser shortcut - stay away from hijacking my browser’s functionality please! It’s in the same ballpark as trying to deny right-click with javascript.

just click ctrl-F twice and you get a browser shortcut. case closed?

3 Likes

On the weightless grime thread I kept getting my browser crashing/closing on me when on my tablet on Chrome. Is this going to start happening on all threads like that which are video/link heavy once they reach a certain size because of the infinite scroll thing?

In some ways I prefer the scrolling pages but in some ways I prefer numbered pages. For active conversations I’d say the scrolling is better but I reckon the numbered pages made it easier to read through old threads. That being said there are no old threads here really

not really bothered by the infinite scroll thing anymore. it’s definitely better because you don’t have to quote everytime when replying so you don’t end up on a new page devoid of context + what @pete_bubonic said about last posts getting ignored.
not to mention browsing was a pain in the ass on tablet/phone - well w/ prosilver anyway, never used the new layout

as for sigs, they made browsing slow as fuck because everyone kept embedding shit instead of just posting links. i disabled them a long time ago tbh, along with avatars and pics

1 BigUp

being able to embed videos while under the spoiler tag you would a good feature but it seems to work differently on this platform so idk

[quote=“4ndY, post:186, topic:110”]
just ask yourself what would it look like if we made a switched from Discourse to phpBB after 10 years of Discourse? The same thing: “Where is an option to answer on the topic/PM using mail only?”, [/quote]

Except you can’t get mail in the first place unless you individually subscribe to a thread. Discourse doesn’t even have 90’s level technology. So maybe we could go back 10 years right now and get all of the missing functionality back?

Don’t need it. Makes those pages look cluttered near the avatars, and too much space near the threads.

But where are avatars on the thread where they actually are useful. Oh, their tiny and useless, surrounded by empty white space. Oh. Nice.

I don’t see any community moderating happening now.

You could do this before by making a post that that person had posted in, they’d get an email. Don’t need tags. Thanks.

I can imagine people running in the streets, screaming, “Where are the user cards!” except no one knows what user cards are. Don’t need them.

Old forum worked fine on my old phone.

Drag and drop is pretty cool. Wouldn’t trade it for all that we lost though.

Some of quoting is great, some is really bad: If you just want to quote a sentence, select the text and you’re done, awesome. But if you want to quote a whole post, often selecting will not quote the whole post. Before, all we had to do was hit one quote button and we were in a new post with the quote. Now, you’ve got to work to get a whole post.

Seriously? Seriously?

This happens you just don’t see it

Is it like dark matter? How do we community moderate?

It is, quite efficiently and pleasingly may I add.

Personally dont rate the emailing at all, hated that stuff on the old forum. And I think you were one of the maybe 5 people that used them?

that’s lucky, it didn’t on many many many devices.