Sytrus vs. FM8

Interestingly enough I just got serum last night, good to know the filters are naught to fuq wit

Well in my opinion you would probably have a lot more fun skipping sytrus and going straight to fm8 because it seems a lot more straightforward as everything in the fm matrix is automatically linked to the controls in the envelope and oscillator panels, plus there are some much nicer effects and a builtin eq+compressor, i found it a lot easier to figure out than sytrus personally. I honestly think you should just muck around on both until you have some sounds to dig. + any knowledge is power. Im pretty sure sytrus is a decent synth i can’t give you a valid reason not to use it but whatever works, works.

Yeah I got ahold of FM8 today, and it is way more confusing than Sytrus…

1 BigUp

most of these growls were made in fm8 bro
https://soundcloud.com/paskeesuteppu/paskii-senpai

what growls

Sounds a lot more like a squeal song.

1 BigUp

idk ay whether to call them robo stabs or? who cares lol they were made in fm8

they sound just a bit generic imo

i kinda agree now. these were innovative in 1942 though.

I understand the sytrus ui and some fm basics but what i dont get about making bass stuff in sytrus is that everyone just does the standard growl thing. Where theres a couple of operators modulating the carrier then the amount is linked to the x and y and thats automated and thats that. Problem is they all sound pretty similar i really struggle trying to make a variety of growly dubstep basses or even comprehend how you go about it.

not me

etc etc etc
100% sytrus
anything’s possible with FM m8

Teach me your ways

i’ve been experimenting for years fam
start experimenting

actually you CAN’T
FM8 lacks certain perks that sytrus rocks
editing the harmonic spectrum of waveforms, editing the phase of the harmonic spectrum*, waveshaping options for waveforms, importing/exporting waveforms from wav/aiff files, a complete RM synthesis matrix on the flip of the FM one, and countless other shit I love sytrus for

*=edit

“years” is supposed to be at the end of that tag but it fucked up and I can’t fix it :frowning:

Don’t know if we are talking about the same thing, but Noisia said in their AMA (ask-me-anything, Reddit) that there’s a way to change the phase of the waveform in FM8. It had something to do with using a waveform with ratio set to 0 and having frequency set to a negative value or some shit like that, can’t remember.

I meant the phase of the actual harmonics making up the waveform, you could do both in sytrus