The Reaper Thread

It’s free. Dual oscillator, dual envelopes.

1 BigUp

That UI
:heart_eyes:

I have the hardware version of it for my MKS-70.

mks

The Roland PG-800

1 BigUp

Beautiful

dont get caught in the hardware, focus on the ideas :yxes:

2 Likes

I can’t afford to get sidetracked by hardware!!!
:rofl:

I said that i listen to everything to do this but only enough so it fits and sounds right, don’t want to listen to it any more than i have to until the very end

1 BigUp

Where did i mention that has to do with software lol i was jus saying how i want to work.

Also i never asked the best way to complete a beat i have only been asking how to do basic stuff like import plug in

I’m on PC now

The amount of unfinished tunes i have cuz of ear fatigue and im sick of hearing them!!!

2 Likes

And i bet you got that used to them that it sounds wrong when you change something even if it needs it which is the point i was making. That is the issue i had years ago. For me anyway

1 BigUp

Ok, so there’s a whole lot of things that come into play that we won’t delve into all at once but this is where decent monitoring comes into play so you know that what you’re hearing isn’t being affected by weird playback chain biz.

Argh. Too much to type.

Re: Synth knowledge and pro tips- also maybe see/add to

Absolutely. Sorry if i misunderstood. Think i read it as you were doing all your tweaking in solo.

1 BigUp

sry meight, didnt mean it like that, more just was trying to say that learning theory stuff (not talking about music theory) in terms of workflow and all that is gonna be more effective in the long term compared to a lot of more specific software based tuts where someone just guides ya through how to program a beat etc <3

4 Likes

:arrow_up:

It’s true. Doesn’t mean you have to suddenly be fluent in all aspects of music at once or know the difference between sforzando and sforzato.

DAWs are there to facilitate the desires of people who want to make music, and all its features were designed to implement something that people who knew what they wanted could easily grasp and make work for them.

Many of them already had to learn theory in order to be able to articulate wtf they wanted the software to do, ie “turn up the tremolo a little” instead of “uh, ya know the wavy thing? The wavy-fier? The one that makes it go ‘BUHbuhBUHbuh’… no dude! Not the echoey-instant-space-canyon one, I mean the wavy thing bro…”

:wink_og:

Point is, you’re asking valid questions about how to do this stuff but you’re maybe trying to jump the line a little, because when one says “I don’t know how to do this thing” it really means “I have not the first idea what I’m doing at all beside the fact that I want to do this” and that’s ok. That’s why learning a basic vocabulary of musical terms (which are universally understood whether you’re Machinedrum or Yoyo Ma) will also help you better learn exactly what you want to.

tl;dr - music software only expedites and amplifies existing notions of the larger body of musical/sound art technique. You’re unique and special but not likely at this point to have ideas so unique and special that no software can accommodate you. Just take a fucking music appreciation class online and learn some basic patter you twat. :lol_og:

1 BigUp

Sorry I’m a bit steamin’ as the Scots say…

Going about writing music this way with software in the driver’s seat is like moving to a country and saying “I don’t need to learn the whole language, just enough to get me a job.” You won’t do a good job if that’s all you learn lol.

Being able to articulate your feelings about art leads to great art: knowing the basic lingo is a good start because they’re mental building units. The basic rules tell you how the game works, what you can plug into what and why and then once you know what they are - you can break the rules [better. Usually].

Look at this geez - he’s heard tune so many times and still loves it and can articulate it and his love for the song and songcraft and music just increases. I aspire to be more like this guy.

1 BigUp

Hmmm i think there is a misunderstanding here

:yxes:

Nah, just chalk that up to same experience as listening to an old blowhard try to educate younguns in the pub around 11:30pm.

1 BigUp