The VICE Oral History of Dubstep

Some real interesting insights into the birth and evolution of dubstep in the early days.

4 Likes

pretty interesting. disappointed not to read their take on the hessle, hotflus, hemlock, punch drunk stuff. never really heard the dmz lot talk about that. quite a big part of dubstep history to ignore

2 Likes

Wow - that was a veeeeery long, but also very interesting read. These interviews are giving a lot of unheard info, at least to me.

Also, I would never have thought Vice could put up such in-depth and interesting articles.

Thanks for sharing.

It’s a great piece. But it shouldn’t be on Vice.

why shouldn’t it be on vice?

1 BigUp

dont get the hate for vice. amongst hte shit theres a few really good articles

2 Likes

yeah i’m not the biggest fan tbh but i don’t see how they’re any less credible than other online magazines atm

well that period isn’t mythologized by fanboys. plus the outsider thing pokes touched on in the article when referring to hotflush.
also “an oral history of dubstep” is a much better title than “interviews with the core group who pioneered dubstep”
kinda surprised they mentioned skull disco tbh.

oh and funny to read about tearout breaks/breakstep losing the real dubstep™ battle

Lengthy read, but definitely a solid read though

damn midway thru this is sick

fair point joe, guess maybe the writer wasn’t so into that end of the scene? and an oral history would be much sicker for those labels with people that ran them and the nights at the time, like appliblim and ben ufo

and ye what ultra said it’s easier to mythologise 2005 than weird offshoot times

yeh im with you. would like to know what the dmz ppl think of those sounds. cos they never really seemed to play them. which in my mind always made them seem a bit closed minded to me with regards to being influenced by new sounds. like in my head they seemed to find a particular niche sound and then just carried on making it for a decade with little outside influence.

by “the dmz people”… you mean basically just mala and coki? or who?

it seems a good read

loe when he did dubstep. obviously when he did his swamp thin thats a bit different.
poaks too but also the ppl associated with em .
but yeha dmz are the seminal dubstep guys yet they dont really seem to ave branched out past their style of dubstep

true actually noone ever seems to think to ask, you’ll never hear mala drop all i have is memories out of nowhere but maybe that’d be cool

yh or even like a headhunter or joe tune. never really heard them play skull disco either

Oris Jay: “It’s like 2-step, but it’s got dub in it. It’s kind of like… dubstep.”

And there ye haves it. DON’T FORGET THE STEP. :smirk_cat:

But they spelled Darqwan wrong, groan.

Also…

MARTIN CLARK: "Rinse had a party around the Christmas of 2004, in a converted toilet in east London called Public Life, which was right by where the Rinse studios are now. [DJ and Hotflush Recordings founder] Scuba was playing, and he asked Loefah for a tune of his, so that he could cut it. He didn’t cut it, though. He played it off a CD, and Loefah was livid: “You played my track un-mastered, on a soundsystem! It’s not fucking balanced.”

So began the saga of Scubahate. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 BigUp

yeah you think mala would have been vibing on shackleton

maybe they carried on that metalheadz scene thing where you’re in the top crew and part of everything or just not and won’t get played

youngsta:
That’s why I’ve never practised. I haven’t had any form of mixing equipment in my house for ten years.

waaat

1 BigUp

So many interesting little bits of info to help join the dots here.

Really liked this quote from artwork, really puts just how far dubstep has come into perspective

1 BigUp