The VICE Oral History of Dubstep

loe when he did dubstep. obviously when he did his swamp thin thats a bit different.
poaks too but also the ppl associated with em .
but yeha dmz are the seminal dubstep guys yet they dont really seem to ave branched out past their style of dubstep

true actually noone ever seems to think to ask, you’ll never hear mala drop all i have is memories out of nowhere but maybe that’d be cool

yh or even like a headhunter or joe tune. never really heard them play skull disco either

Oris Jay: “It’s like 2-step, but it’s got dub in it. It’s kind of like… dubstep.”

And there ye haves it. DON’T FORGET THE STEP. :smirk_cat:

But they spelled Darqwan wrong, groan.

Also…

MARTIN CLARK: "Rinse had a party around the Christmas of 2004, in a converted toilet in east London called Public Life, which was right by where the Rinse studios are now. [DJ and Hotflush Recordings founder] Scuba was playing, and he asked Loefah for a tune of his, so that he could cut it. He didn’t cut it, though. He played it off a CD, and Loefah was livid: “You played my track un-mastered, on a soundsystem! It’s not fucking balanced.”

So began the saga of Scubahate. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 BigUp

yeah you think mala would have been vibing on shackleton

maybe they carried on that metalheadz scene thing where you’re in the top crew and part of everything or just not and won’t get played

youngsta:
That’s why I’ve never practised. I haven’t had any form of mixing equipment in my house for ten years.

waaat

1 BigUp

So many interesting little bits of info to help join the dots here.

Really liked this quote from artwork, really puts just how far dubstep has come into perspective

1 BigUp

well they probably were, at least at some point. this is not the first time they mentioned the dmz being at skull disco nights.
but i guess it didn’t fit in with their aesthetic

ye this gave me feels
really good article tbh

vice is good in their overseas coverage but shit for a lot of otther things… a lot of click bait like: Why using a spoon to cut off your dick is a good thing-Vice

who were the dnb DJs tryna court silkie and quest?

Excellent read and for the first time in ages a dubstep article thats offering some new insight and depth instead of the same old, same old.

Big up Lauren Martin on the transcribe, no doubt it took tiiiime

1 BigUp

dont you mean ‘dont forget the dub’ ?
i feel like thats what people who refer to dubstep but just produce noise should keep in mind…

also i think its really really good they stuck to only their sound, i wish more people would appreciate this sort of sound.

1 BigUp

The dmz crew?

vice is second to none

like if a fanzine became a mogul and didn’t change that much

those how to piss tutorials where worth all the indie baiting and hipsterism

yeah it’s annoying I reckon Vice is genuinely on of the most interesting investigative magazines there is. But the painful oh so ironic click bait stuff they churn out just ends with me never reading anything they publish. Which is a shame.

4 Likes

me too neither, either

but then again they bring the donks

• that doc on that varg guy . . . so good lol

the thing where they really piss me off

is that their site does this local thing where they include artists from the same country as the ip, meaning they will present a danish rapper fx, in the same vein as say kendrick or whatevs

meaning you’ll have to trawl through shit that really has no grounds in the culture, but is only there via some underhand bigger label cuntitry

“It’s a great piece. But it shouldn’t be on Vice.”

Couple jellys inside

Big article tho always nice to hear from the horse’s mouths