Time signatures and dubstep?

how do yall feel about weird rhythms and time signatures in dubstep music?

iv recently gotten back into dubstep after watching some videos on the genre (specifically the timbah on toast video about old UK dubstep and a few others on the same topic) and since then iv been curious on if any dubstep tunes from the early days had any timing shenanigans involved (such as odd time signatures or just weird rhythmic stuff in general), so does that exist or is that unexplored territory?

new to the forums by the way, hi!

2 Likes

Hey, and welcome. The only obvious example I can think of is Shackleton, but it’s more meditative/repetitive/long form stuff. Closer to some types of techno or trance in that sense. I guess since dubstep definitely falls under “club music” more than something you sit at home and listen to, weird time signatures would throw people off on a dance floor.

With that said, I’d encourage experimentation. I’ve been working with trying to find a middle-ground, where one can incorporate more polymeter/polyrhythm stuff within a dub/2-step context. I’m heavily inspired by the Swedish progressive metal band Meshuggah, but technically, even their music mostly adheres to a 4/4 structure if you look closely. They utilise what some call “hypermeters”, which is basically different polymeters overlaid, but they loop back to the 1 between sections of the song, etc.

2 Likes

Welcome dude good first post.

There was a short thread about it on the old forum. All the links are dead now but there’s a bit of discussion

https://www.dubstepforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=223347

3 Likes

thanks a lot!

i spose it makes sense that time signatures and dubstep wouldnt be a popular combination, it took me a while to start feeling odd time signatures, i do think i’ve come up with an idea that could make it work for other people… i might give that a try and post a WIP to the forums to see how that goes!

also thanks for the old forum link ill have a good look at that later :eyes:

2 Likes

7/4 FTW

2 Likes

7/4 is nice, 7/8 is also nice. I end up riffing in 5/4 a lot on acoustic guitar.

As long as you can feel the groove, it’s legit.

2 Likes

Just a proof of concept, placeholder sounds etc. Polymeter synth melody with halfstep 4/4 drums I made a while ago.

2 Likes

Bit more syncopated version of the same concept, also with placeholder sounds.

1 BigUp

Tryna explain to my friend who made this, that this is not 7/8, it’s actually 7/4, haha. Dope song.

3 Likes

@Mandrake here’s an actual release with a bit of a skewed time signature. I think the main bassline loops at 6/4.

1 BigUp

doesnt sound odd to me, then again that could just be because im used to odd time signatures, i like the vibe though! its like a tune not made on earth

iv started a half time 5/4 track by the way that i might slide in here if i feel like it :eyes:

1 BigUp

aight heres a wip of the thing iv been working on :scientist: slow 5/4, i have officially contributed to dubstep (hopefully)

2 Likes

Digging this A LOT!
We have a couple threads for tunes so once this is done post it up!
(They don’t get a lot of action these days but still worth posting)

We also run regular porduction competitions in the production section of the forum so get involved in those too. The most recent one closed for submissions today but I’ll be running new comps in the new year

Post Your’e Music

Ninja Dubs Club - if you’re new, you’ll probably not be able to access this part of the forum yet…

2 Likes

thanks mate! ill keep this in mind for any future dubstep related tracks i make as well, happy to contribute to the dubstep world

as for the production competitions ill consider it but it depends on how i feel :eyes:

1 BigUp

No worries, they’re regular and zero obligaton to join. Just for funsies.

1 BigUp

this song is done! excited to see if rhythmically-unorthodox dubstep has a place, and if it does ill be happy to continue messing around with it

1 BigUp

sounds bang on 4/4 to me

good tune

Looool “wait how fast am I counting and where do I stop?”

Well, polymeter 6 bars then loop, then. It does not loop after 4 bars.

EDIT: not sure you can call it a polymeter, it’s more mixed meter I guess, since the drums follow the bassline riff, and also loops back after 6 bars.

Quarter notes versus 8th notes innit?

1 BigUp