What should I do ? [Need advice]

I have no answer to your question but your thread title made me think of this:

But seriously, in an effort to respond to the OP, @Some_Guy this is probably the best advice you’ve been given all thread.

1 BigUp

tbf that and the bit about being friends with Diplo, the edm techno deity, was also peng.

2 Likes

This is like the threads of old. But it took a turn for the piss poor rather quickly.

2 Likes

@Databoi is this your blog? http://diploisgod.tumblr.com

its where i discuss Diplo, and also vaping.

2 Likes

Tabasco is totally on point. You really have to make a choice and commitment if you want to make it in music, especially in dubstep. As far as college goes, if you’re serious you aught to be studying music or business, otherwise you’re clearly heading in a different direction and you’re going to be a hobbyist for the rest of your life (nothing wrong with that though).

Most big name producers have been grinding and hustling for years to build up the skills, connections and reputation to the point where people will actually pay money to see them or buy their music. In the words of Ice T, making it as a musician is “damn near impossible.” While you’re sitting in literature class, the real heads are out there making tracks and making moves.

Aside from studying music / business (maybe philosophy), use college as an opportunity to start a night or get on your college radio station. Or drop out and get involved in the music business and see how real it is. Read “Lost Illusions” by Honore de Balzac.

1 BigUp

Boom.

Excellent post.

This in particular is fucking key to the previous discussion. Using Guetta as an example, whilst he had a ‘commercial’ breakthrough in 2002, it was as a result of his grinding for the previous 15-20 years that had let him build up his skills and contacts to ensure that he was able to fully capitalize on his opportunity.

It’s not about luck. The only people who cite luck as a factor are the ones who didn’t put in the hard work to capitalize on an opportunity when it presented itself.

Keep going to school.

The things you learn in school will inform good music even if you don’t see an obvious connection at first. Film, art, physics, history - they all feed ideas.

Music is a passion; it’s love of process - the joy of making sound - and when other motives/incentives such as fame/profit/career sustainability enter into the equation, it usually disappoints.

Do it because you love making music, not because you expect a lifestyle from it.

Trust your instincts, because when you make that tune that gets stuck IN YOUR OWN HEAD you’re on to something. Srsly.

PS: Kinda drunk.

hijack the lecture hall stereo system, play on of your dubs then RKO the teacher and walk out. never look back

I heard this is how mala got the first dmz release on big Apple

stay in college as long as they let you come to class but bounce the cheques for a Virus gen 2 and a sub. Use the connections you make in college to be close to people who get jobs and ultimately have money to buy your product, but be cool about it, like Paul Rudd in Wet Hot American Summer.

Also make a vision board, it’s the secret to success.

most important part

1 BigUp

I wish we had sigs.

Whatever zac efron did in we are your friends, do that

2 Likes

Did they even play the Justice song in that film?

I’ll wager my good testicle its over the end credits.

That seen when he’s in teh studio (lab tbh), depressed and down (someone broke his visionboard prob) and then he says “I wanna be big bro” …poetry imo