What will dubstep sound like in 20 years?

Yea and those are all brostep

3 Likes

is that what Fat Joeā€™s up to these days?

Saying that ā€œitā€™s all just brostepā€ is pretty ignorant tbh. I like some styles (for example what Knife Party/Noisia/Koan Sound/Skrillex used to do) and hate some others (most of the new riddim for example).

not really hes pretty much on point with it.

It would be ignorant if someone said all dance music is techno. Which annoyingly I hear from people all the time.

1 BigUp

Yes it would if you ask me

If Iā€™d say that everything else in dubstep is just ā€œundergroundā€, would that make sense either? Imo thereā€™s a quite big difference between Burial & Commodo for example

Yea but both are dubstep.
Thereā€™s a big difference between yung lean and sugar hill gang but both are hip hop

dubstep in 20 years?
a music style of the past
like bebop, rocknroll & swing are now
itā€™ll have its enthusiasts & even a few people who try to write in the style
but essentially it will be anachronistic,
like going to an oldtime dance now,
as it wonā€™t suit the taste of the day.

but then in 60 years time, around 2076
the times will suit its vibe as the world experiences a dark economic time
and people will seek a catharsis in sub-bass dissolution,
hoodies will come into retro vogue
but the sound will be freshened up and adapted to bio-engineered innovations in hearing
like sensitivity to micro-tones & a wider spectrum of frequencies.

3 Likes

more minimalist rhythms & patterns i would say - i feel like the sound design will get more raw & will play more of a part in the newer stuff - i can imagine bass synths occuring less often than they do now too - people will get bored of the same rhythms & dumbing it down is the only way i can think of making it stand out - not to say that the quality will lower at all - and of course youā€™ll still have people making the stuff we see now

I think itā€™ll be more or less the same. Itā€™s hardly different now from its original form.

And thatā€™s like over ten years ago

1 BigUp

itā€™s hard to predict, some dubstep tunes sound twenty years ahead anyways. iā€™d imagine itā€™ll take the current shape of whatever is in top 40. i.e now everyone loves that trap sound, so alot of producers have incorporated that (some with success, some not)

but whatā€™s important to me is keeping those hard kicks and that style seems to be a relic of 2008-2011 unfortunately

Extratone, Black MIDI, and Hypersonic shit (that the kids can hear but grownups canā€™t).

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5434687

This has been a thing in the early '00s with the Nokia 3310 already.

Yah but Iā€™m saying itā€™ll be a whole genre focused on inaudible highs (instead of inaudible lows). And a pisstake at that.

:duncelol:

i remember in 2009 or 2010 we thought dubstep now would have a bunch of real instroments or something like that. is it? i havent been listening to much new stuff.

maybe that was just autopilot, he was a good dj. he had apex twins in his sets and made songs with piano and guitar

Thats where youā€™re wrong bucko.

ā€œTerror squadā€ is a genre of dubstep lol?

hope not