Where do you think dubstep is going?

thanks, so was I right with chill and dungeon?

More or lessā€¦? Although Geode might be too ā€œundergroundā€; I think ā€œchillstepā€ is more ā€œfemale vocal liquid dubstepā€ and solely exists on youtube.

11 Likes

problem with dubstep is the lack of ppl outside the scene playing it and giving it a go. so now youve just got no cross pollination between genres. and a similar group of people just making similar sounds. the best periods of dubstep where when you had ppl from outside the scene playing it and being influenced by it and in turn influencing the ppl within the scene itself.

like 2009 you had techno ppl like marcel dettman, shed, surgeon getting on it.
dnb ppl like instra:mental and martyn,
house ppl like floating points and kyle hall,
mark pritchard
heavy metal ppl like skrillex
grime ppl like spooky all interacting and influencing dubstep

4 Likes

intersing view joe
imo I doan givafuk whether outsiders unnerstan the vibe
cos if they doan get it, they ai8nā€™t us

now
Holly Herndon
thereā€™s a (finally, septic yank)
whoā€™s gone beyond
and invented a sonorous world worth inheriting
beyond our unnerstading.
not us but us
because sheā€™s full-on
and sub-conscious.

i think music shouldnt be categorized, above all within one category. for describing certain things you could use terms like ā€˜lightā€™ ā€˜darkā€™ whatsoever, but if the person you are talking to is really getting what u mean by that is another matter.

also i think its good and not a problem that only people inside the scene ARE the scene, that (even if only superficially) isolates the people with real interest and understanding from the ones without.
the one that digs enough is gonna find what he was searching for. good music cant be/stay on the surface (NO MATTER WHAT GENRE/STYLE), the more people feel it, the less it will be innovative and original.

are you taking the piss? what kind of logic is this? have three people in a room circlejerking and thatā€™s somehow supposed to be innovative? @DJoe and @ultraspatial (aswell as others) both made good points about the importance of ā€œcross-pollinationā€ between genres and cultures to keep things fresh and boundarybending. what you describe sounds like an eternal shitfest, having the same ideas recycled over and over again. itā€™d just be Commodo, Las and Gantz doing their thing over and over and over again. who would want that?

lol youb say music shouldnt be categorized but then say only people inside the scene should be the scene.
isnt t that just categorizing and also shutting of a genre to outside influences. so making it elitist and just using the same sounds over and over

calm down mate, as u might have noticed, commod, las and gantz, and everyone else is doing their thing, but that doesnt mean putting out the same sound over and over again. people evolve and develope and this results in the music changing and developing as well. there will always be crossing between everything and anything because you cant divide influences. i mean everyone is influenced by everything so obviously trying to split genres from one another is not possible and it obviously is natural and healthy to dip into different styles but. iā€™m not saying only people within the scene should be in the scene, iā€™m just saying you can clearly see who is and who is not, no evaluation put in this.

Some of the most interesting stuff definitely comes from people ā€˜dipping their toe inā€™. Look at that Aardvarck release, for instance

2 Likes

Hybrid trap isnā€™t about replacing drums its about replacing sounds. So like instead of machine gun basses one may put sampled vocals followed by growls and other trap noises.

to be fair, Aardvarck has released more than one dubstep record in his time. All the Bloom records are worth copping imo.

2 Likes

what a confusing thread

6 Likes

as to OP question,
aside from my personal aspiration,
I reckon dubstep will remain an influence for several years more
then become history like other radical musical forms like beebop,
possibly eventually recognized as not just a sonic evolution
but for being promulgated by the internet
yet based on sound system culture & gatherings of heads
plus itā€™s having a variety of interpretations ranging from brockable to meditative.

Which is not to say that there wonā€™t be an occasional innovative/competent dubstep tune come out
but it will probably be called whatever music is reflecting its influence.

Iā€™m still waiting for someone to successfully merge dubstep with a more metal/rock based sound. Enter Shikari have had a few successful songs by doing this but nothing to mix the scene up really.

(If anyone knows of any bands that have already attempted this successfully please feel free to share them with me)

Iā€™m hoping that some of that early style dubstep makes a comeback for a change like them old tunes played out by Hatcha and Youngsta, them steppa tunes are some of the most creative tracks on the scene.

I.E.

1 BigUp

I live in Brighton and for me the local scene has been exploding. Labels like Keysound are doing really well (here in Brighton) and thereā€™s a lot more regular dubstep nights.
Also in the scene in general I think Deep Medi, System, Inamind etc are all pushing out brilliant stuff regularly.
Plus I think itā€™s great that dubstep has always been a particularly vinyl-focused culture, and by the looks of things itā€™s staying that way, meaning that itā€™s always going to have a much more connected vibe to it.
I do agree with all the comments, and maybe itā€™s partly because Iā€™m optimistic, but I have high hopes for the scene.
Also the grime scene blowing up is gonna have an affect on it.
All music genres go through phases, ups and downs, but dubstep is a special genre that is very much about roots and sticking to them, and I think dubstep will always do just that. The moment people loose faith and passion in a genre is when it falls apart, so keep believing!

Iā€™m just hoping the EDM scene in the US doesnā€™t churn it up even moreā€¦

2 Likes

:put_litter_in_its_place:

Down the shitter.

like this forum yeah?

are you having a rough week jaydot?

2 Likes

that D1 track sounds like breakstep to me now days
prefer the wobble of Crack Bong,
the creep of Greazy
the build & whip of Molecules
or the beauty of Joy