Where do you think dubstep is going?

Always preferred Belong over Crack Bong

D1 is top 5 material. his music had character.

2 Likes

Still one of the best d1 tunes

1 BigUp

No Turning Back and Victim are two of D1’s best

Seems like soundcloud is blowing up. I’m from the US, so the whole riddim / spacy wonky style sounds fresh, like bueg and bommer. clearly descendents of early caspa, rusko, so nothing really new but has that early dubstep rough, fun, underground, experimental flavor I think is missing. a lot of dubstep has become overly polished.

https://soundcloud.com/bueg/go-nuts

From here, seems like in the UK, tribal and dungeon styles are still popular which is perhaps part of the “lull”. The UK scene seems really minimal. A bigger club scene and proper sound systems. The US is more about the internet and festivals.

1 BigUp

i agree that it’s too polished

even the “rough” sounding stuff that’s not dungeon at all just seems a bit hung up on fancy sound design and neat types of noises

Same problem that killed neurofunk in DnB. Went from being genuinely interesting tracks circa Wormhole to polished sound design wankfests where everyone is trying to outdo each other with their bass patches.

yeah, these artists who were starting a new style genre have matured into musicians who are just making good music (and new people continue to make good tunes in the genre).

will dubstep continue to reinvent itself? probably for our generation it will, look at how drum & bass is still around and the new jump up style. how long has rock and roll been around?

dubstep isn’t new anymore though, but music is will probably continue to evolve and the next generation will develop a new style and genre. I see a direct lineage from dub to drum & bass to dubstep, so I think of it as: what is the next evolution of dub.

1 BigUp

Sorry for the late reply…

Too elaborate, every scenes “dead” (let me finish hahaha), if you type Metal into Google, it’ll show you the more popular, “mainstream” Metal bands around. The same goes for near enough genre including Dubstep, however the more you involve yourself with a certain Genre, i.e. Metal, you start to get deeper and find your Machine Head’s, Pantera’s etc…

Dubstep to the common bloke is artist’ such as “Skrillex” and artist’ along the more pop side of the genre, but as mentioned before, the more you dig, you start too find your Kahn’s, Thelem’s and Gantz with the rest of them.

There are people making brilliant music in every scene and always will be, no matter if a scene is “dead”, so just listen to the good stuff! :smile:

P.S. Don’t hate for that first line :wink:

Spooky still plays loads of dubstep to be fair

yes!!

1 BigUp

remember a time where dubsteps biggest concern was the overuse of brutal electro

2 Likes

Banger

I think you make a good point here, I grew up listening to and being involved in the punk scene but even though I grew tired of it (it “died” for me, so to speak), there are still a great deal of adherents and even newcomers joining the scene, as least around here. So maybe dubstep will change just as its audience changes, which could be for the better or for the worse…probably the latter, but I’m pessimistic about everything so.

1 BigUp

Grime seems to be the big ting now but I don’t how much longer that will last.
Dungeon is played out. Most boring shit ever.
The delay-drenched dubby stuff is kinda played out too.
I’m not sure what’s going to happen. I just miss the excitement I had for the sound between 07 when I discovered it and 09/10 when things started heading rapidly south.

That said, there’s still a lot of producers coming through with the goods, I just don’t know what direction the scene will take.

3 Likes

I Definitely think the scene is at a very healthy place atm. Seriously loving some of the new productions by Commodo,Gantz etc. From what I can feel it seems that the slump is definitely ending and the scene is coming alive again, although whether it will ever become what it was during its peak years around 08-09 is hard to say. At-least here in Belgium I can feel that Dubstep is definitely more popular again, although there is a definite lack/gap of events dedicated to the sound!! One-thing I have noticed though is that it’s mainly old fans who are exploring the dubstep scene again, as in there aren’t many new listeners.Has anyone else noticed this as-well?

Its going nowhere everyone should give up

Even in the early years, when dubstep diverged from garage, it was better than grime

theres so much new waste grime about but i guess cus of the fashionability indirectly made me discover certain old shit like bigshot etc, instrumental 2003-2004 stuff, thats fuckin siiick

1 BigUp

dude there’s a whole world of grime that i feel like i’ve barely scratched the surface of. i feel like the problem with discovering old grime is that there weren’t really organized record labels like there was with dubstep. you can’t just scroll through the medi catalogue or the dmz or tempa or tectonic catalogues. it’s almost all white labels (though there are a few “actual” record labels like dump valve) and they’re not organized well on discogs. makes it hard to keep track or “visualize” the releases and like the timeline of when they came out etc. or maybe this is only something that makes a difference to me. :cornlol:

honestly though, i feel like dubstep, as a genre, or a collective of individuals, has “marketed” itself much better than grime has. it’s very easy for people who know basically nothing about dubstep to find old releases, read hundreds of “history of dubstep” etc articles all over the internet, watch plenty of interviews and documentaries and shit like that. there seems to be more “history of dubstep” type nights or radio shows (like DMZ or XOYO or that thing rinse did in the fall) where they get all the major guys together for a night, whereas grime doesn’t really seem to do this very often (to my knowledge).

i just think that, today, grime would enjoy a much higher level of popularity if it had these things that “told it’s story” in an organized way. i’m sure people will point out lots of wholes in this post but it’s just my experience with it. i read somewhere that there used to be like a “grimeopedia”. that’s the exact kind of thing i’m talking about.