Where do you think dubstep is going?

yeah and nah

altho coming from me who’s been out of touch with the whole scene for two years :duncelol: there’s still a lot to be digging for. however it’s evident how much commodo’s had an impact on the scene since everyone’s making trippy hip hop style bangers now

Big up man! Yeah all solid af producers. Though I will clarify for ya that Oxossi is Brazilian-American (don’t think he’d even describe himself as Brazilian, lives in LA, I know the guy, friend of mine :slightly_smiling_face:)

Definitely man, you see it a lot with the individual unknown producers out here, pushing the sound in unique ways that wouldn’t necessarily occur in other places. The influence of the FlyLo/beat scene music comes to mind.

1 BigUp

no. why would they be

This is immensely obvious, but no one’s ever said anything about how tongue in cheek the Tempa artwork is. Lie Detection shows Richard Nixon (lol), Youngsta’s Destruction 12" has a wrecking ball. I read an interview with Give Up Art and he said the reason why James Brown is on Benga’s Crunked Up 12" is cause James Brown loved to “get crunked” haha.

The less obvious thing is… who is Neil Joliffe? There’s almost next to nothing about this guy except that he started Tempa, ShelfLife, and Soulja (the latter two which are defunct), and most importantly, was the man to have coined the term “dubstep” in the first place. He’s a complete mystery.

1 BigUp

I thought it was Sarah Lockhart who coined the term? Might be remembering that though

I think they worked together on those labels. I remember seeing a picture of those two together back in 2002.

ye, neil started Ammunition and Sarah did A&R iirc. or something along those lines at least

Ah yeah I knew they were both involved in some way, I just always thought it was Sarah who first used the term Dubstep… Could be wrong though

very excited for the new spmc (i’m a fanboy for his 140) but those are the sounds i want to hear. the gulliness of the dungeon era dubstep without the complete absence of energy in the later super stale releases. proximas stuff before he vanished was pretty cool. i’m still tore up about drs vocals on smog.

seems like the super rootsy jahstep wave has subsided for the most part, really enjoying those sounds lately because it feels like those tunes don’t get signed anymore unless they are undeniably top notch, like von D’s “Wicked Scam” which is amazing.

really digging dark tantrums stuff, new kromestar newer aggressive brooding bits as well as everything new from reamz. people are sleeping on reamz his grimey hybrid tracks are next level. distinct motive has been killing it keeping the momentum alive since the release of 40hz… Hebbe out of the netherlands is also cranking out badass tunes right now. TMSV is also back on the buttons again i’ll listen to just about anything he posts up.

I dunno about Von D, he used to make some of the most unique stuff with mixing dubstep and funk/soul, and now he’s turned full reggae stepper. However, man’s been producing since the 90s so I’d see how he would want to switch things up.

SP’s 12" on System is a very welcome return, even if it could be a one-off thing before he gets back to MCing (not likely I hope). And Proxima hasn’t vanished, he still makes drum and bass but hasn’t done anything dubstep-related in a long time.

Innamind is still the best crew imo. Their attention to quality is unparalleled. I’m paraphrasing an old quote from the old forum but someone said how they were just another run of the mill dungeon label until Kursk realized releasing with a quantity > quality approach isn’t the best way, and got his A&R shit together.