Where do you think dubstep is going?

This was designed for a Mars mission.

madmax4set1small

Meanwhile, back on Earth…

We have the Alpaca Sound System.

4 Likes

regardless of some of the flaws within your arguments, this statement has been true since even before dubstep barely touched the mainstream. It always had this reputation that was unshakeable. If you were to chat to almost anyone about dubstep, they’d definitely be thinking about screechy robot Transformer noises, and not how they’re pissed off how the latest System release sold out while they were skint.

I remember reading an interview from Bwana (techno producer who loved old school dubstep) and he DJed in Italy, opening for Skrillex. He sorta hated him for tarnishing dubstep too, but when he went on stage and opened his set with Objekt - Cactus, the crowd booed him :sob::laughing:

2 Likes

This is like a 2009 throwback thread

6 Likes

Music goes in cycles, including topics of debate like this. :badteeth:

1 BigUp

whats next? should we talk about Skream deciding to play tech house?

3 Likes

In every music scene the larger proportion of the output caters to the lowest common denominator, it’s bland, generic, and in this day and age, short-lived (because ADHD-youtube-microattention-spanz). But there’ll always be gold in the shit, it’s just harder to find.

There’ll always be truheads or whatever you want to call them. So maybe the glory days are gone but that doesn’t mean dubstep should be written off. Look at the majority of other genres…

Rock - Led Zeppelin / Jet
D&B - Goldie / Twisted Individual
Reggae - Buju Banton / UB40

etcetc

Music gets diluted. Popular does not mean good quality. Popular means whatever sells the most and occupies the most attention for the longest time. Mass consumption = mass production.

Dubstep isn’t dead, it’s just evolved and became monetised. Like it or not.
Find your niche and live there.

wtf has happened here

chill out bros

1 BigUp

I fought swamp81 art was created by ashes57

Idk man I guess it’s been long enough so that people can argue about the same pointless thing they did like almost a decade ago

1 BigUp

it was the marketing and advertising vultures that force-fed the brostep to gullible audiences, IMO

2 Likes

Nah, Ashes57 done all the illustration artwork while Loefah and her both done typography on the 12"s.

I’m not convinced brostep ‘ruined dubstep’ tbh, it’s not like without Excision a load of fratbros would’ve been otherwise brocking out to Ancient Memories.

7 Likes

Brostep didn’t ruin dubstep in the same way that clownstep didn’t ruin d&b. Dubstep encompasses many different styles within itself.
Brostep is just one of them, and unfortunately the one that became the most popular and commercially viable.
Dubstep ain’t going anywhere. Don’t like the way it’s evolving… then make the stuff you want to hear, put a night on, start a label, go back to the roots. Give back to the scene.
Easier said than done but y’know, what else you gonna do? Watch big brother in bed with a bag of doritos?

2 Likes

Bring in the beat
Bring in the bass
Bring in the treble

yeah but tbf clownstep never became bigger than dnb itself unlike brostep

2 Likes

True. To the public eye brostep is the entire image of dubstep. Although I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t the shitty UKF channel lol. I only got into “real dubstep” when I was listening to those “This is Dubstep 201X” mixes that were put on the UKF channel. At the time, GetDarker were partnered with them and helped to curate the tracklist of the mix CDs, so they weren’t all shit. I was listening to the 2011 version cause I was bored on a bus ride for a tour of Nevada (lol, can’t believe I remember this), but what really hit me were the “deep” tracks, for the lack of a better phrase. Cyrus - Alone, Icicle - Xylophobia, KM & Yunx - Surge, they were these tracks that made me realize that apparently, dubstep wasn’t all cheap wobs. I ended up digging deeper into the sound, found out about Tempa (unfortunately Skream fully committed to disco & house by then) and found the true sound. I even heard Pearson Sound - Blanked in that mix, which was a hint to the “post-dubstep” era and the house / techno / other genres that were also prevalent at the time. Unfortunately GetDarker isn’t partnered up with UKF anymore I think. Besides everything on that channel from 2015 and onwards is complete shit.

IMO, it’s even harder to find the non-brostep, actual dubstep sound than it was years ago. (or i may be wrong lol). Same as usual, you have to dig for it.

3 Likes

@ Cheyne

familiar with AxH & Saule
but ta for bringing my attention to Oxossi
(tho looks like he’s Brazilian not septic)

the System Roots mix on there is boss tho not all ds

and Mesck, though his heavy ds is kinda broey at times

and Distinctive Motive’s wob like Iron Lung
certainly evidencing that th dubstep lives on in North America

your list of dubstep nights in the US assures me that it’s still happening
and as a mate of mine said yesterday,
music is generally given more space to be creative
when it’s underground
so long live the underground & cities that recognize the need for loud venues!

3 Likes

You could even argue that brostep saved dubstep

3 Likes

very hot take

3 Likes

dont really listen to new tunes these days
are people still trying to make 2015 gantz tunes?

2 Likes