Where do you think dubstep is going?

incredible

3 Likes

Sorry dude. I didnt think about that. Im still new to this stuff. Been listening to electronic for about three or four years. Ive only began getting into the less mainstream stuff in the past year and a half, so i dont really know how popular some people are. At the same time, i dont really know you all very well so i dont know everything youā€™re into. Trying to listen to different artists, i dont really make much time to research them unless i am crazy about their music. Guess i should have saw that coming considering drake brought the guy out on stage. I was going to say his name as if everyone knew who he was but i didnt want to leave out the people that potentially didnt know who he was. Dammit.

3 Likes

Popularity is also easy to mistake when i look at YouTube views and compare them to more popular videos. Any other site i can refer to to find out how popular someone REALLY is?

Have you guys heard this one guy called Mala? Sick producer, really think heā€™s doing something unique, gonna get big someday.

7 Likes

Sounds familiar. Looks pretty popular on YouTube. BBC? Are you making fun of me?

No no, Iā€™m making fun with you

6 Likes

Haha ok. Thats cool. Yea i just realized that Mala was one of the first names i saw when i began listening to old school dubstep. I gotta stalk this forum more often so i can get rid of this ignorance. So embarrassing, even if i AM just one and a half years into electronic.

I see it that weā€™re all students of music right? So whatever, if you donā€™t know now you know and just keep listening and learning

1 BigUp

Thats the plan.

I like how there is such thing as old school dub step apparently

2 Likes

THERE ISNT? JEEZUS CHRIST. Hm. Are you sure that statement isnt just subjective?

Lol, it goes back 12 years now. I remember the dubstep term being used around 2003, it might have been 2002 even.

1 BigUp

So twelve years isnt long enough to be considered old school?

would you call Kanye West old school hip hop? Late Registration came out in 2005.

1 BigUp

Actually, it was 2001 now that I think about it. I remember going to San Francisco to play a party and I also did a set on Groovetech playing the early dubwise 2-step/dubstep sounds. I also had several residencies in my home city where I was among the first to introduce this sound.

1 BigUp

I personally say oldschool dubstep, not very consciously or frequently, but because I really donā€™t like it when I tell people I like dubstep and they expect me to like stuff like this.

2 Likes

No, but heā€™s been around a long time. Hip-Hop has 40 years of history though, as Iā€™m sure you are well aware.

2 Likes

Depending on how it sounds. If it sounds like hip hop that came out years before it, id say yes. I dont know when hip hop came out, so i cant really say that album is old school. But i feel like old school dubstep is the term for stuff that reminds me of music like stuff by skream and all the other guys. I just dont know what else to call it.

Halfstep dubstep didnā€™t start happening until around 2005. I was working in a record store during that whole period, slinging those records. 1999 - 2005.

3 Likes

No yeah thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying. I certainly wouldnā€™t call Kanye old school.

Old school hip hop to me is REALLY old school, like Grandmaster Flash, Sugarhill Gang, Jazzy Jeff, that kind of stuff. Some people include early 90s, but thatā€™s too late for me to consider old school.

2 Likes