Where do you think dubstep is going?

This seems ironic

1 BigUp

Forgive me for being an ignorant American, with little exposure to the grime scene and more experience within the garage and dubstep scene, but are there specific elements that distinguish grime from hip hop? I always went with the notion that grime is just ā€œBritish hip hopā€ but I always had this feeling that there was something specific and unique about grime that distinguishes it from American rap and hip hop, but I canā€™t really put my finger on it. So are there any specific elements to the sound of grime that are different as a genre from hip hop?

grime is 140 and hip hop is like 80-90 bpm for one.

I always felt like hip hop was pretty fluid tempo-wise, but yes generally it is 80-90, sometimes 100 bpm. I mean since trap became the popular sound, I feel like a lot of hip hop is taking on the 140 bpm as well.

ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  In Paris is 140. BPM doesnā€™t mean anything.

Iā€™d say for one, Grime grew out of UKG, is generally more club-oriented. Grimeā€™s MCing stems again from british soundsystem cultureā€¦ I think grime people took hues from hip hop in how to do things, as opposed to why. like, you got MCing, why not go all the way like some big ukg classics?

idk man I donā€™t like grime that much and am not very up to par on the historic part but imho grime just doesnā€™t sound anything like hip hop; itā€™s completely removed; parallel developments.

to me, grime has hip hop ego
and used to have guitars & shit

the best is good, the worst is a joke, same as all music

British hip-hop was itā€™s own thing, it wasnā€™t really different from American hip-hop except for the accent of the rappers.

Grime came from garage as others have said. The instrumentals very rarely used samples (until the second wave of grime) and were at a different BPM altogether. It was all budget instrumentals made using Fruity Loops or Music 2000.

1 BigUp

Thereā€™s decent variety in production but I do feel weā€™ve completely lost that spaced out, raw sound that we used to hear from producers such as D1. As someone mentioned before itā€™s all very polished now, I wonder if thatā€™s just the changing of times & producers feel their tunes should be more ā€˜sophisticatedā€™. Its kind of a shame since those dark, distanced & frankly evil tunes were what has always attracted me to dubstep.

couple of examples

1 BigUp

agree & good examples
D1 & Headhunter tracks were raw & basic
like Cyrus & Cotti
my fave dubstepā€¦can listen to it always

1 BigUp

I, for one, would like to hear some new breakstep.

3 Likes

The thing is-thereā€™s not that many niches left to exploit in order to make fresh-sounding material imo-pretty much all bases have been covered-so people kinda have to go back over old ground and rehash things-imho.

forgot who said this but ā€œat one point we were all hoping dubstep wouldnt become fabric live 37ā€¦ now weā€™re wishing it hadā€

Clouds - You Go To My Head: http://youtu.be/tosXWgZpWuc

Im still learning what dubstep used to be. I like those older sounds. Glad i read this post. I hope these songs make someone happy. They sure make me happy. And theres this other song where a guy named Skepta is rapping, called Shutdown. If youre into rapping to grime and you havent heard that, i think you should listen to it.

1 BigUp

I should have posted legendary, too. Thats also by Asa and Sorrow. Those wine glass samples come from Asa and i believe the shuffling percussion does, too. Based on his other music,i would say that Sorrow was in charge of the beautiful bass.

I dunno why I found this bit so funny :cornlol:

1 BigUp

Should i be embarrassed or something?

I find it funny how 3 of those tunes are grime haha

1 BigUp

Lemme guess. Youre either laughing at me mentioning this song as if no one knows about when everyone does, or you just dont consider it good enough to be mentioned on here. I dont know man. Tell me whats so funny brah.

Yea i was aware that they werent all grime. I just felt like they should be mentioned.

Haha itā€™s just the ā€œa guy named Skeptaā€ even though heā€™s like one of the biggest names in grime

3 Likes