Apple’s relationship with pro music needs some mending

You produce music on a Linux system? What version/off-shoot of Linux?

nah, you can only get the vst’s I use on Windows and Mac. I use windows for that cos for the same price as an equivalent Mac I can build a whole PC and buy all of my VSTs/software, etc.

apple is moving to Arm processors so goodbye most music software going fwd

1 BigUp

my man has a broken wrist and he’s thinking about ARM processors (feel better bro)

3 Likes

Oh shit dude. I don’t think his arm’s gonna make it. Better bust out the hedge clippers IMO.

The only reason why a move to ARM would be painful is because these companies don’t let you compile the shit yourself. If you could compile the shit yourself, then you could compile it for whatever CPU architecture and the earth would keep turning.

Ja that’s what I was going to say… no way you can get the stuff you want on Linux.

1 BigUp

What kinds of vsts are you using? It’s been a while for me, I don’t know what kind of stuff is out there in 2020

too many to list tbh, but mainly fab filter, soundtoys, native instruments stuff

1 BigUp

Thank heavens we’re finally going to get RISC-based processors in the desktop market. All it took was for x86 processors to suck beyond comprehension for two or three years.

Guessing this is partly due to Apples need for highly binned silicon in their laptops to get close to advertised performance out of the chips with their awful cooling designs.

Intel chips have been running hot for years too since they are milking every last drop out of their 14nm process.

1 BigUp

Kind of cool

http://samplr.net/touchbar/

anyone did the upgrade from mojave to catalina and had any issues with that?

This article is 10 mos. old but there were known issues iirc…

:frowning:

fuck that, my music machine is my work machine and i think i have to update it because otherwise i cant have the latest xcode

1 BigUp

Fuck man, been in that situation before. Hope you find a solution :pray:

yeah man they force you too update. Also remember

• adobe products (CS 6 /CS 5 , XD) wont work.

• If you’re a dev. you might have to for the latest xcode

• Also it’s completely restructured file system & format so you cant roll back unless you have time machine backup. (the old way of just rolling back the OS wont work.)

My latest McBoek came with Catalina installed and I definitely had some issues.
Went back to Mojave and now I only have an issue now and then when connecting to large secondary
monitors or video switchers.

ufff, looks like i have to bite the bullet and do the upgrade anyway because i need catalina to have latest xcode…

just hope its not gonna mess up any of my ongoing DAW projects

i remember you mentioned you use NI stuff, any gotchas i should be aware of with catalina on this front aside from the non support for 32-bit thing?

Keep an eye on HD partitions wherever you have NI installed tor starters. That’s a common issue iirc.