Benga speaking about his mental health issues

I have and it’s not pretty. Sorry to hear about your dad, I’ve got someone close to me who has had issues as long as I’ve known them.

They’re in a better place now, but I’ve seen them when it’s been truly dark and it’s not nice.

3 Likes

sorry to hear that also bro.

I just think its fucked how trivialized mental illness is in this day an age.

2 Likes

We need to talk about it

And not make it out to be so incredibly serious that we cant talk about it or have to take shots at people that dont get it.

I’m on the scale myself (I would assume) but I’m just too arrogant to go and get it checked and then I ‘self-medicate and produce music’ instead …

2 Likes

I’ve mentioned to some of the guys on here before that one of my mates (this is a seperate mate from the person I was referring to in my other post) had a complete breakdown a couple of months back.

Full on manic episode, came close to losing his job, split up with his missus of god knows how long, at one point was convinced the government was sending him recruitment messages for Mi5 through BBC Radio6 so was blasting it at 4am so he didn’t miss anything*.

Health service treatment he received was shocking. Locum GP referred him to A&E, A&E referred him back to his GP, then when asked again instead told his he was better off using his BUPA to get some treatment ASAP.

Utterly failed by the system…was only the fact he’s got a solid support network that kept him from going well off the deep end.

1 BigUp

So telling people about their mental illnesses and the difficulties in dealing with them is “make[ing] themselves out to be victims”? You’re all kinds of ignorant.

2 Likes

Christ, how much mandy do you have to take to develop bipolar?!

Big ups on bringing it up though; must have taken some balls tbf, open yourself up to all sorts of shit on social media ect.

1 BigUp

I have a feeling it was an underlying condition exacerbated by drugs/heavy partying lifestyle

Yeah I agree; I think thats probably the case with most drug induced mental illnesses tbh.

I dont think jess (or MJ for short lol) is saying that tbh

more on the grander scale like the human condition where its a shame that someone has to experience the bad side of victimisation

(theres the good side where you get help and theres the other where you ‘lock up’ or similar innit! )

nice tune Benga…
can even remember the way it goes which is rare for me
the middle bit’s got some interesting nuances

man, Benga must’ve taken so much gear between 06 & 08
he was like a different being
I’ve got a pic of him just standing in front of me like a zombie.
I was worried about him then.
Hoping he can come back to some sort of mental stability.
And yeah, we gotta discuss & be open
without making it celebrity games.

2 Likes

I think it’s absolutely dusty when you talk about me like you know me when you don’t.
I, as well as most of my mum’s side, 've got more than one diagnosis under my belt, just wouldn’t catch me harping about it.

1 BigUp

You think Benga was harping about his issues with bipolar and schizophrenia?

Didn’t say that at all, I was actually responding to a judgement passed on me by Juke. Read back over it if you need further clarification tbh.
But since you asked, given the tweets quoted earlier in the thread, I don’t think he’s trying not to by any means.

No no I get that you were responding to Jook, but I’m still trying to wrap my head around your opinion on this situation. So you think by him coming out about why he had to retire from production, due to his mental illness, that he’s just harping about it? I think what he did by tweeting about it was actually really inspiring. At least for me.

1 BigUp

Was it just me who saw him ask people to interview him about it? lol
As if it wouldn;t have come up in any interview he did from now onwards hahahaha

Watch, after a few of these, he’ll start banging on about how people always asking him is triggering.

Whether or not he intends to take advantage of it shouldn’t discredit the fact that he opened up about something most aren’t willing to open up about, esp. in the electronic music world, so even if he tries taking advantage of the situation I still think it’s a pretty cool thing that he did.

1 BigUp

bruv if you’re gonna @ me at least spell my name right.

either way have a very lovely evening, really cba to continue this conversation

No doubt drug use contributes to, and excaberates, mental health issue but being the root cause? And I was told you can’t be both schizo and bipolar.

Don’t underestimate the fact that diagnosis is not an exact science.

@Cheyne_Taylor_Bush, that’s fair enough, personally I don’t fuck with people who harp on it.

I absolutely agree with what you’re talking about. After about a couple years of seeing psychiatrists that were simply residents at UCLA I found myself taking multiple different taking medications for the conditions that I wasn’t even diagnosed with properly.

We might have different perspectives but I do get what you’re saying about self victimization and how detrimental that can be to actually getting proper treatment, I just wish more artists were as open about their situations because it seems like there are not that many out there that are honest about their personal struggles with mental issues

2 Likes