Benga speaking about his mental health issues

First off, the stories I hear about diagnostical procedures in the US don’t exactly give me the impression I’d want to be treated there for anything at all. There’s some interesting literature about the effect of inflational ADHD diagnoses in the US, on kids, the health care industry and the parents and teachers. I’ve read an article a while ago comparing US and french approaches to “psychological disorders” and how people handle these in both countries, exemplified by ADHD. Bottom line: a very active child in france gets enrolled in sports programmes, in the US they get adderall. Of course, this is an oversymplification, and while there’s plenty wrong with french social security institutions, I think the point itself is made pretty clear by that comparison.
Secondly, I don’t think mental health issues are that big of a taboo in the electronic music scene…? Even though there’s only rare cases of people speaking up and telling their stories, I’ve never witnessed anyone being stigmatised over something like that, either. Scuba for example hinted at some problems of his own more than once, and while people tend to take the piss out of him quite frequently, they usually find more reasonable matters to make fun of. But maybe that’s just me and I’m missing something?

1 BigUp

You’re spot on about diagnostic procedures being fucked up here. But as far as mental health issues being taboo, it’s not that they’re taboo within the electronic music scene per se, it’s just that I don’t hear about it a lot, so maybe that’s just a misrepresentation on my part.

Two things.

Mental illness is something that needs to be taken seriously and I feel that a lot of countries tend to sweep it under the rug because (as jesslem said) it’s not an exact science. I think a lot of the public view most mental health problems as a nonissue (ie the whole culture around “hardening up”, especially amongst males).

The second thing is, half the problem is situations that are similar to this. Where someone is vocal about condition “x” in a public forum, with their only interest is in garnering attention and not to the issue but the individual. I think a lot of self diagnosing is within the root of the issue (especially with depression).

4 Likes

Just wanted to say that I personally don’t see it as an issue of hardness, but more as an inevitability that’s futile to combat with. Life is shit and you can keep living it, or you can die, but that’s just about it, imo.

1 BigUp

That I can def agree on. Or as Nas says: life’s a bitch and then you die, that’s why we get high, 'cuz you never know when you’re gonna go

Nah it’s not an issue of hardness, just bringing up an aspect of societies views (especially within the male realm) on this topic. Also, believe it’s futile is a problem within itself, that’s when people top themselves believing there is no alternative.

I’m glad my life hasn’t lead me to feel that to be true.

Conversely, I’m sad that life has lead you to describe life as shit
and can only hope that future experiences change your minds.

But I can’t even reassure you that we have the ability to affect that change
only to adapt to actuality such as to make the best of whatever beautiful moments arise.
Apart from taking responsibility for my/our own psychological health,
all I can recommend is to attend to other peoples’ needs as much as possible
with its reward of delivering a sense of meaningfulness/usefulness
or if only as a distraction from whatever dystopia you inhabit.
Yeah, yeah, easily said…

1 BigUp

respect to benga. no need to say anything else really.

5 Likes

Maybe I’m negative because of my past but I like to think I can find the positive in the bleakness of my worldview. But honestly, every day is different and today is a really good day, so today positivity prevails and I love my life, but yeah, it’s sometimes an uphill battle.

Fair enough, I think it’s perfectly plausible that he was tired of getting the repeated questions about why he quit the music business and that’s why he’s gone public about it now. This certainly explains the sudden exit and initially closing down of his Twitter account etc. Also fits with the rumours of him going a bit OTT on the nose powder etc.

definitely.

people are just using him as a example in another discussion in the same thread

would be weird to question his reasons for posting this innit?

I think you’re self absorbed tbh. Even if your life is as good as you make it out to be, look at the homeless guy you walk past on your way to work…
It’s not just that he’s not got money in his pockets, his relationships have broken down, average citizens don’t take him seriously, and if he’s lucky someone will spare him a couple of quid so he doesn’t have to steal and risk his own shackled freedom to eat.

This.

Come off it.

Daniel Johnston > Benga.

1 BigUp

jess

theres heroes and anti-heroes and villains

and you’re like an anti villain

trying to upset people with nice thoughts

(i like it)

3 Likes

jess
if I was an axe-murderer, fascist henchman
gutter-dwelling reprobate or angelic paragon of virtue
I would still hope to be empathic with those less fortunate than I
because my experience tells me that we are all one being
creating apparently differentiated lives

but whichever I was or am
I am me
acting within the constraints of the smaller me
and the cosmos of the largest me

self absorbed?
yes perhaps because that’s from whom I best learn
but probably more, ultimately, self-absorbing
on the eternal pulse between the edge of individuation & integration @ core.

No apologies to my other selves for having a good life.
We deserve it.

1 BigUp

Apparently he discusses this on the R1 show last night and a plan to return to playing shows: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p034363r

loool, hype beast. Gutted I didn’t post my prediction of this tbh.

1 BigUp

theres a bipolar dude that comes in my store

he has his own plastering business tho so he makes bank

seen him fight a dude in the parking lot tho so i dont fuck w him

that mfer is crazy