Brostep, Tearout, Filth: The Good Stuff

Said it before, but John Cage is a don and anyone who dismisses him as “that guy who wrote an empty piece and got away with it” needs to educate themselves.

Man predicted turntables would become musical instruments… and he predicted it in the 1930’s.

Man anticipated sampling and how it would change everything… decades before the first sampler.

Man was doing generative/aleatory music long before we had apps and algorithms to do it for us.

Could go on and on but yeah, he shouldn’t be dismissed as an abstract theoretical academic.

Everyone should read this:

2 Likes

I have an original edition (I think) of that book.

1 BigUp

That was John Cale not Cage. But Cale was influenced by Cage

ah shittt

Some club around where I live is hosting an “old skool dubstep” night, featuring classics from the likes of skrillex, datsik, excision, rusko, funtcase etc. Big up the originators

5 Likes

man, that’s depressing.

1 BigUp

whhoa. where r u located

we’ve been calling the brostalgia comeback for ages now and its finally upon us

4 Likes

called it here first https://community.dsf.ninja/t/broclub-deluxe/2042

2 Likes

New.

It’s not the worst tune in the world imo but… dun kno.

I’m actually sad about the total lack of releases from Babylon System and Broken Note the last few years.

https://www.facebook.com/events/655502177935364/ for the event (the skream and benga pic lol)
I was misinformed, these nights happen every week, I’ve been there before, has been rammed full of students every time, system is mediocre (think they needed more $$$ for lighting) there’s a constant “mosh pit” fueled by £3 equivalent pints

@_ronzlo - Huh? the Truth & Decoda tune is probably about 5 years old now haha

Always thought of 16bit as a kind of bridge between dubstep and brostep

2 Likes

feeling some brostalgia rn tbh

2 Likes

Frankly I miss the days when it was just dubstep and if you made a tearout tune it was still dubstep. The problem came when people didn’t mix their sub properly and then dudes just started making midrange. That’s really what they should’ve called it, midrange. The name brostep is pretty apt sometimes, but it just sucks that Jakes and Lost often fall into that category because their tunes still bang to me. Really though, who cares, if you like it, you like it.

2 Likes

“12th Planet, the US godfather of dubstep” fuck off lol, apparently no one knows about Joe Nice who’s been on the scene before him

I don’t remember the last time I listened to copious amounts of dubstep, but I still rate the rawness of tearout / harsher styles of dubstep, especially with 16bit and Bablyon System when I still listened the genre a couple of years ago. It probably has something to do with the drums, which had a sort of attitude / swing to them which really complemented the dynamics and low end of a track.

3 Likes

Well people who call themselves ‘music fans’ but generally only listen to one particular genre or sub-genre or fusion-genre and will call anyone who listens to another genre etc. mentally handicapped/retarded etc. as if it makes them better than you, unfortunately.

2 Likes

new? that tune is old ass fuk

Yeah yeah, I know. Someone else pointed it out. I just never heard it the first time.