Calling out producers for having presets as signature sound?

I make real Riddim.

El-B tried to clash me with a preset from a JV-1080 and I pwnd him.

2 Likes

changes is a reason preset
eskimo is a korg triton preset
sleng teng is a casio preset
night hunter is straight out of fucking sytrus

who the fuck cares. dance music in particular is built off presetsā€¦ hoover on the Juno 2. lately bass on the tx81z. organ 2 on the korg m1. Or what about the 303? itā€™s basically a 1 preset synth where you can tweak the filter and envelope a bit

3 Likes

True true. I would chalk this up to a lesson inā€¦it donā€™t fking matter as long as it is done well. Alsoā€¦fellow producers donā€™t make a song a hit, the people who buy / listen to them do and guess whatā€¦they have no idea what a preset is.

That is a good thingā€¦just sit back and let them sound like everyone else. You can only get so far if there are 1,000 other people that sound like you.

fake-asses all using the same 909 presets too imo.

Lame

Someone sounds jealous they didnā€™t think of it first

Iā€™m fine with people using presets as long as they tweak them. Tweaking presets can result in sounds that you wouldnā€™t even think of when making sounds from scratch.

Iā€™ve been looking all over for an acapella of that track for my Tuna this week! Didnā€™t find any, but Iā€™m pretty sure I got haxorā€™d in the process. Killer track

1 BigUp

My favorite Sleng Teng tune!!

1 BigUp

Mine too!

tr808 is noise pollution maybe worse

1 BigUp

Skreamā€™s 2D is a Reaktor preset:

1 BigUp

Most arguments I hear of are because of that very reason.
That Reaktor is madness, want to spend some time there.

Just lol at caring about this.

Call him out if you like, I can guarantee that nobody will give a shit

Yeah for real. Lots of big tunes are made with presets or untouched samples. In the hardware days it was normal, and if a synth didnā€™t really have any good presets chances are it would not succeed. Also guys like Liam Howlett used the fuck out of romplers, and would go out of their way to buy up all the roms they could so that it would be harder for other people to get them.

So itā€™s nothing new, itā€™s just easier these days. I guess the main difference is spending a few grand on a hardware synth back then meant the sound would remain pretty fresh and undiscovered longer because not everyone can just get a cracked copy.

coltraneā€™s saxophone is a preset

2 Likes

this, or the fact most modern music is 40% 808

Guys I just found out that there are a lot of bands out there that use guitarsā€¦ Not sure if we should call them out on this or not