Deep Medi

Why would medi release a grime tune? Great tune don’t get me wrong but it wouldn’t fit the label and would be terrible timing (grime is so mainstream atm it’d be easy to view it as a £$£ decision)

No idea i just want top a top released tbh, don’t follow spyro that much and never would have associated him with medi myself, was just putting 2 and 2 together after @Johnlenham post.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it did come out on medi tho cos the whole medi crew been rinsing it for time

They already have?
Also…

They have a JME head lol

2 Likes

Was a commodo plate tho, would hardly call it grime… it was allowing a producer to work with whoever he wants like the roni size remix. Medi didn’t release a dnb plate after that, I’d find that a bit odd too. Imagine some metalheadz type plate on medi, wouldn’t fit.

yeah so hench

Would fit waaaaaaaaay more than that crock of shit does, imo.
And just because it’s a Commodo plate doesn’t mean it’s not grime.

I never said it doesn’t make it grime. Likewise, just cause JME is on it doesn’t make it a grime track. Imagine the vocal didn’t exist you think the majority of DJs in a scene playing that instrumental would be from the grime scene or dubstep scene? Regardless of whether that tune is or isn’t grime it fits in with Medi because its Commodo… essentially seen as a Medi artist (hard to word that cause I knew I’d get replies like HES RELEASED ON OTHER LABELS TOO, hes a Medi artist tho). Even if that tune was a straight up grime tune no questions asked it would still fit… its Commodo… but Spyro? Apart from Mala playing the tune I see no reason why it would fit on Medi.

If the only people pushing that Spyro song were people like Logan, Spyro, Spooky, Slimzee ect. there is no way people would be going “yeah that should come out on Medi”. You could list 10 labels for that tune to potentially come out on and Medi would never feature in that list if Mala wasn’t playing it.

No chance.

I guess it makes more sense it coming out on Medi if the Kahn & Neek remix is on the flip but still, would be way more fitting on Bandulu than Medi.

S’all knit picking anyway its a banger and I’d buy it whatever the label. Just don’t think it fits. Personally would like to see Medi go more towards the groovier stuff like Quest or Silkies older bits… I think theres space for that. Other labels like System, Innamind, Crucial, Artikal, Lion Charge ect. all seem to have their sound pretty much nailed down while Medi are a bit all over the place recently. A grime release would make it more all over the place imo.

It’s just that when you say that you’d hardly call it grime because it’s a commodo plate it sounds like you’re saying that it’s not grime because it’s a commodo plate.

I actually didn’t say that, took extra care not to as well.

Initially I thought Dubstep scene because it came out on deep medi. But deep medi also put out that roni size track, does that make it dubstep?
Aside from that, it’s not like spyro doesn’t have fans of his own who would back the release even if it came out on medi, and maybe a lot of medi fans don’t fuck with spyro too tough (I don’t, and I feel like you don’t either), so it could just as well be grime tbh.

So if commodo started putting out brostep 12s, medi would still be the place for it?

Medi artist with a new LP on black acre, yes.

Why can’t spyro become a medi artist? is it because he’s released on other labels? like commodo has?

I think “Medi Artist” is a bit of a false construct tbh. Mala started the label to put out good music he was getting sent from people all over the world. A number of the artists released have only had one release on the label.

Na not at all, I’m saying its hardly a grime tune cause the instrumental is a typical Commodo tune. As I said above, ignore the vocal… whos gunna be pushing that tune? Grime or dubstep scene? Thats a pretty good indicator of what type of tune it is, without getting into specific detail. I’d consider it a dubstep tune with a grime MC over the top… which essentially makes it a grey area in terms of giving it a definitive genre. I think we can probably agree its a crossover tune. If that, out of 100 releases, is the only tune in a whole label discography that could be considered grime I don’t really think thats enough to start saying straight grime releases would ‘fit’ into a labels sound.

As with Commodo & JME, I see it as the label allowed a featured artist to have a bit of creative freedom and work a little outside of the labels norm.

Not necessarily, as I said above… I see the label as supporting a group of producers while also pushing a sound. You have to have a bit of give and take, so if Commodo goes to Mala and wants to work with a grime MC… Mala can allow that artist a bit of creative freedom and support it… if it fits. That release did (again, the instrumental could have featured on its own with another tune on the flip and it’d just be another Commodo Medi release). A brostep release wouldn’t because that isn’t allowed a current featured producer to be creative in other areas, thats allowed a current featured producer to release whatever the fuck they like. Very different. Arguably the Roni Size thing is BUT its a remix, it wasn’t Swindle going on a shit drum and bass tangent and putting it out.

Don’t get your point? When I put “(hard to word that cause I knew I’d get replies like HES RELEASED ON OTHER LABELS TOO, hes a Medi artist tho)” I was trying to avoid exactly that comment lol. Hes not exclusively signed to Medi but hes a Medi regular in the past 3/4 years or whatever… trying to argue that is just being argumentative. However you wanna word it, featured medi producer, medi artist, medi regular… you get what I was trying to say?

I’m not saying he can’t I’m just saying you’d expect it to fit with the labels sound? With the number of releases Medi has its pretty obvious what their sound is… picking out 2 tunes from 100 odd releases is a weak counter argument but one I’ve tried to justify (giving a regular producer creative freedom WITHIN REASON).

There are more artists that have featured a number of times than those who have popped up with just one release. If you genuinely think that there isn’t such thing as a “Medi Artist” then fair enough, pointless carrying on this conversation… because there quite clearly is.

top a top’s coming on medi w/ kahn remix

1 BigUp

:smirk:

Think writing long paragraphs has made it look like I care too much haha, I don’t. Huge tune, will definitely be buying.

Just trying to justify saying I don’t think it fits on Medi and I’m a little confused on why its coming out on Medi (besides Mala playing it and Kahn remixing it).

1 BigUp

The last paragraph was initially part of the one featuring the point you said you didn’t understand. It also said that I thought Mala was the only true medi artist, but I took it out because I thought it would contradict. The point was that he’s not a medi artist though. He’s just a producer who’s had releases on medi. Now if you want to say that those are the same thing then you have to take on all of the people with one or two releases, roni size and other crap remixers included, as medi artists and ask why the label did such a bad job of managing them. Up to you though.
With that in mind, I was about to look up the back catalogue and after deep medi, the first recommended search was “bandcamp”, as a bandcamp lover I went through just to have a look. Guess who the only listed artist is?

I also didn’t want to say this, because it’s hard to say without it looking like I’m tryna make him look bad, but there are no medi artists because medi isn’t really for artists. It’s for mala.
It’s an expression of his tastes as well a source of income and relevance.

And yeah, Shift is pretty typical of Commodo, but it’s way more ‘grime’ than any of his other releases. Even the instrumental. I also think you’re misusing labels when you say that because it’s the only grime release it doesn’t make sense that grime would fit into a label’s sound. Grime isn’t really a sound. Not all grime sounds the same, much like not all dubstep sounds the same, but aspects of either one sound like some aspects of the other, so yes that which is grime can fit into the template of a label that is known to release dubstep.
Take Joker for instance. Hyperdub, when he was on it, was known for putting out dubstep but his sound also has a lot to do with grime music and had he not been picked up by a label that operated in dubstep but one from grime instead, he probably wouldn’t have been associated with it at all. Even though his music referenced aspects of both. It’s a really arbitrary way to categorize music and what is and isn’t appropriate for a label to release.

Taking your point of shift representing the label allowing an artist some creative freedom, why cant they allow that same freedom to Spyro? For one thing, I already established why the label exists and there tonnes of interviews where mala explains the same thing if you doubt it, so if he likes a track that may or may not be grime, why shouldn’t he put it out? For another, if you accept that shift is a grime track and assert that it fits in with the label’s sound, then why can’t another grime track fit with the label’s sound as well? It just doesn’t stand to reason.

On the Roni size vs shift bit, I don’t see the difference between creative freedom and letting an artist put out whatever they like, but even in accepting that viewpoint, does the remix really fit with the ‘sound’ of the label? It definitely wouldn’t have been the first time a label commissioned a remix and decided not to put it out because it didn’t fit. At the end of the day, if you want someone to do a job for you in this world, you have to pay them even if you think the end result wasn’t worth the money.

Honestly, I’m not saying it should or even would come out on medi. Never even heard the track. I just think your positions on the topic are inconsistent.
With that said, I understand if you no longer want to keep this up, because I don’t think I do either tbh.

1 BigUp

You are joking right?

Nah, I’m usually pretty behind the curve in terms of dubstep tbh. Almost always find out about stuff a little while after it’s no longer relevant.

Though having heard that. It’s basically a Commodo plate hahah.

Its been around for at least a year maybe longer. Doesn’t sound like commodo to me tbh, more like kahn/neek. But i do get get wot ur saying, but i also get wot munceys saying, so anyway, who gives a fuck, just put this record out already ffs lol

1 BigUp

Was getting played at outlook last year atleast.

honestly Shift is closer to a grime tune than Top a Top to me (ignoring the vocals). i don’t really mind whether it fits with the label’s typical sound or not tbh

is it actually forthcoming tho or was that a joke?

gantz told me that top a top is basically 2016 skeng. he’s got a point. not strictly dubstep but would be sick on medi imo

3 Likes

yeah i agree, havent heard the skeng comparison before but i can see it.