DIY Gear Thread

Last exchange is one for the Linguistics thread (re: attempting to translate western irony into culturally-mainland Chinese.)

1 BigUp

Useful article on making synth casing.
https://moroccodave.com/2017/06/07/diy-modular-synth-making-module-panels/

I think this project is simple enough for me and my friend to work on, just need to source the parts :-/

1 BigUp

As for breadboard kits what do you guys think of this?

Around 8$ USD

probably fine to start but can’t hurt to go with a bigger breadboard. those caps and resistors won’t get you very far either, get a kit with a lot of different values or just buy the stuff you need for a particular project

You mean something like this?

Imo this looks better than the last

And it includes a speaker…

look at a circuit youre interested in building first, you’ll buy everything cheaper than some kit and make something you actually want to make in the end

its like a recipe, you dont just go to the store and buy 5x of the most popular ingredients to make a meal

2 Likes

a meter is a must have to try to figure out your inevitable fuckups, youll learn more too

and yeah i agree youre gonna have to buy parts at some point if you want to build anything specific. but having a good variety of spares is nice to make tweaks and play around with

yeah agreed and also invest a decent amount of your budget into a good soldering iron with adjustable temperature etc. If your tools are shit, your projects are gonna be shit too

seafoam blue weller or nothing

1 BigUp

Weller WES51

adjustable, easy to find new tips and simple af, i legit thought soldering was some lost art while using my radio shack constant watt monster when i was a kid haha, still use that thing to solder tac metal together once in a while for other larger projects, shit for circuits tho haha

(sorry to the Weller gods that my iron is in an unusable spot rn)

1 BigUp

I think it will be necessary to start with the very basics. I have to find a basic oscillator schematic, then I can duplicate it and play around with it.

EDIT: If anybody has a simple sine, square or triangle oscillator schematic that would be awesome.

I found some schematics from the pdf cyclopian posted, seem easy to build.
Going for the Sine wave generator. Just need to buy the parts and a breadboard, Yay!

My goal is to make this one in the future:

1 BigUp

Though I have a quick question, on the sine generator. The capacitors have .01 on them, is that the measurement?

yeah i hate when they leave them off but id assume microfarads (uF) based on values and the labeled ones

https://discchord.com/gear/2019/11/12/haq-attaq-is-it-worth-building-music-gear-echo-base

1 BigUp
2 Likes

Thought you might like to see this! 5x Embedded processors trigging audio as loops and pitched samples via MIDI from the Launchpad and the Moog as a controller : )

Fields - Don Johnston & Joe Alias feat. dat Brass | Check out this wicked live video of Don Johnston, Joe Alias and dat Brass performing their new track off of the Swing & Bass album! Grab this and the... | By Swing & Bass | Facebook

3 Likes
1 BigUp