My name’s Mike, and I’ve been a member for about a month. I’ve been listening to Dubstep for five or six years and am a fan of the scene on a largely cultural basis. I love the narrative of things taking off in Croydon, how radio stations were jacked to broadcast sounds, and how some of the DJs I know and listen to today started out back then. I’ve also been trying to pinpoint the time when Dubstep took off in the United States and how that affected the genre overall (although this is a largely subjective debate, if any thread’s are dedicated to this please enlighten me!)
I’ve been observing the forum since joining in order to create a visual ethnography of sorts for myself and have a couple questions for the OGs on here, if any of you are down to help me out. I sincerely appreciate any time you guys have to throw my way. Without further ado:
- Does anyone here on the forum know each other in real life? (I am not looking for information on real-life people, just if anyone sees each other outside of interacting on the web)
- Have there been any real-life meetups in the past for DSF members? Nightlife (shows, club gigs, etc) or non-nightlife events.
- Has anyone who currently uses the forum been here since its start in 2005?
- Following on that question, has the vibe/function of the forum changed since then? If so, how?
- Have any artists launched their careers using DSF?
Again, thank you so much for your time, anyone that can help me with these Q’s! I’m on a mission to prove this is a community in the truest sense. Any questions about me or my background, hmu.