DSF Production Comp: RENEGADE VIRUS

RENEGADE VIRUS
The classic dark tech-step sound of late-90s to mid-00s drum and bass from Renegade Hardware, Virus Recordings and similar labels

RULES
BPM: 170-180
Genre: D&B
Sounds: You may only use, manipulate, destroy, and abuse the samples in the pack. No drum machines or synths.
Deadline: Sunday 10th March

PLAYLIST

VOTE

• Track 1 - Life Elsewhere
  • Track 2 - Renegayed
  • Track 3 - The Trickster
  • Track 4 - The Trooth Is Out There
  • Track 5 - The Four And A Half
  • Track 6 - Psychiatrist
  • Track 7 - The Rugged Cross
0 voters

Samples: Download the sample pack here

Resources:

Virus Recordings
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1GC02LMg_L-9bDv0NqAzhLz_DNvWbYHx&si=06up3wvolGfxrs2F

Renegade Hardware
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1GC02LMg_L8chtDq1nAVPvxwwPLeTvWj&si=kR8HTw-zS8aM7V0z

3 Likes

@finji @cyclopian @Anecho @MARSEN @knobgoblin @Samuel_L_Damnson @Harkat @Lavek @Tolsof @Hibbie @_ronzlo @Paralytik @mks @Molzie @trudge @finji

2 Likes

@faultier @topmo3 @swerver @syrup @lloydnoise @anon22530004 @butter_man @Pokus
@Dubstep_Warrior @Ryan @clone @polkaroo @Phigure @hubb @Stance_ReThinK

3 Likes

@redliner_headliner @Sac @Dat_Daxter

nice breaks in here. gonna give it a shot but dont blame me if i make jungle

4 Likes

A lot of that Renegade stuff was pretty jungley/choppy breaks tbf.
As long as it’s dark tech-y and has the vibe of those tracks I put in the playlists

1 BigUp

Time to dust off my copy of the Torque LP and give ‘er a rinse. :grin:

Yeah, the breaks are all whispering “come and fuck me hard big boy” but gotta stay on target…

2 Likes

So kinda like dark minimal atmosphere, pully bases, snares with long tails

1 BigUp

I think tighter, gated reverb snares are probably a little more typical but you do you.

2 Likes

Listen to the playlists and you’ll get the vibe

1 BigUp

I did and that’s the vibe I got :stuck_out_tongue:

Side note, man so many “electronic” (for lack of a better term) are so long. I need to not be so afraid of looping the same couple bars and just letting that play out for awhile lol. So many of those songs were just the same loop over and over with small fills or little woopy sounds

Not saying it’s a bad thing, just an observation

3 Likes

Totally valid. There was a lot of backlash to techstep and it kinda peaked iirc w Bad Company UK aka )EIB(.

Tbh techstep won lol. Became neuro, had a lot of influence on adjacent styles.

Repetitive works in certain contexts - the dancefloor and with DJs. I love choppychops but 180 hard skullsnaps turns into head banging overbites more than dancing, plus aggro vibes kinda suck in the dance tbh (and I love tearout.)
—-

@hubb wheres that Optical class you linked a while back?

3 Likes

I was a full on Reinforced supporter during this era and stuck to the breaks.

I don’t even know if I could make Techstep.

I’ve never tried tbh.

It would probably turn out Jungle with the 2-step beat. I have actually done that before.

3 Likes

Just run with it. Who knows maybe the tech/skull/neuro-step revival starts here

4 Likes

Oh I’ll see what I can do. It was wiped off the youtubeses

1 BigUp

good info on how much might actually be repeating and how much is new -THE balance

5 Likes

Yeah I usually forget about the actual like setting or purpose of the song when I’m working on one. I really forget about that underlying dj culture and that these songs are in a lot of ways a type of trance music.

1 BigUp

Nice I’ll check it out

2 Likes

Trance for tweakers lol

1 BigUp

ffs I’ve totally forgotten how to make tunes

2 Likes