DSF Sample Pack Competition 52 NO RESTRICTIONS!

I’m in, no @ or not.

1 BigUp

Ah shit sorry dude, i knew i would forget someone!!!

2 Likes

so this is to be 100% sample based?

the pack is nice. might try.

2 Likes

Yup. You have to only use the samples in the pack

1 BigUp

Yup what Tolsof said - but use any VST (not synths) or processing technique in your arsenal on those samples.

2 Likes

Wait so are we allowed to for example load a sample into sample based synths and then use fm synthesis (through the same sample) on it? For example with Ableton’s Sampler or Serum.

2 Likes

You’re only allowed to use the samples in the pack, but you can process and fiddle with them however you like with effects and editing. As long as you’re not using any other samples or instruments, you’re free to do what you want.

3 Likes

Yeah what para said. As long as you are not adding any other sounds then p much anything goes.

For eg. I add ridiculous reverb and delay on a sample from the pack, then freeze the fx, print it, and use that new sound generated from the original sample.

No worries man :slight_smile: :v:

Also @Anecho , regarding the processing and stuff; yeah, pretty much do whatever you want. It’s great fun to see how much creative processing you can come up with to get the desired sounds and effects you’re looking for.

1 BigUp

glad we have a full month for this, haven’t even downloaded the pack and probably won’t get started for a few days at least, I’m right in the middle of moving atm :sweat_smile: but I’m ready to hit this hard once I get everything set up again

5 Likes

Paulstretch is awesome for this. It actually got addded to Audacity at some point, which is pretty cool to have it in there.

but my question was about that stuff. with granular,additive, etc, you can push what is “sample based” pretty far from the original intent.

3 Likes

Yeah I think most resynthesis methods are probably pushing it a bit far imo. You’re basically just using a synth at that point

1 BigUp

I generally look at it based on whether a process is adding a new sound source into something. e.g. fm or ring mod is just modulating the original signal. most traditional mixing processors (eq comp distortion saturation…) same thing of course. microsampling a waveform, looping it and then using filters/envelopes and other effects is still only using a sound source that originated in the sample even if its highly modified. but yeah if something is resynthesizing new frequencies or harmonics or something then that’s kinda different. might be hard to draw the line tho idk if that’s everyones exact interpretation

1 BigUp

It’s a tricky one because I use Irid a lot (Irid - Shimmer Reverb - Tritik) which generates harmonics and textures from the reverb tail of a sample, and sometimes I think even this is a step too far.

I dunno tbh.
Where does resampling the frozen reverb tail fit into this. I can stretch one out to infinity, use Irid to pull out a bunch of harmonics and shit, then resample, throw it into a sampler and fuck with the asdr. At this point I’ve gone waaaay beyond the original sample.

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

You’re still using the sample though, even at that stage.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a bit of a grey area imo, and at the end of the day the competition is really just for fun and it’s not like we really check to make sure anyone stuck strictly to the samples.

I think if it makes you feel dirty you shouldn’t do it, otherwise go for it. The comp is to challenge yourself really (and to have fun of course), so if a technique or method removes those aspects from it for you, then don’t do it

8 Likes

Yeah true enough.

I think @Tolsof nailed it. It’s about fun and creativy.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the Thing bass note is an F#. Also conveniently enough the bird call sits around an f#

2 Likes

As expected what i had going isnt working so i will now proceed to sulk, procrastinate, make several false starts then give up until 3 days before the deadline, panic, smash something together and submit a sub-par track

1 BigUp

Agreed, and fwiw my vote would always go more towards a track where I can hear the samples from the actual sample pack, if the track contained nothing recognisable from the sample pack I’d be like :thinking:

2 Likes