MUTANT DANCEHALL COMPETITION - LISTEN AND VOTE!!

bpm is 101 fellas, or are you doing 202 and haltfime drums?

156 = 101 + 55:

If 1/4 = 55, then 3/4 = 156.

You could theoretically mix out of 3/4@156 into 101, 202, etc.

:wwf:

2 Likes

maybe im rusty, but this isnt how time signatures work, no? the “denominator” of a time signature only tells you how many beats are in a measure. that doesn’t affect the length of the beat. you’re only changing where the emphasis lies

1 BigUp

Man I suck ass at sticking to the genre. I always end up slowly drifting away

1 BigUp

Plenty of time left on this one - just wanted to give you all a quick heads up, I’ve updated the production comp schedule HERE

The Grime comp in Sept has been rainchecked, and I’ve replaced it with something else.

Sounds fun

It’s a bit more complicated than that, but yeah, I can see what @_ronzlo is saying, even if he’s not using the time signature things correctly.

In a DJ/beatmatching context, it would be possible to mix a 156 BPM song into a 101 BPM song, if you sync up the beats of the first, to land on what would be the triplet rhythm of the second. This is very hard to pull off in a real situation, since it would fuck up the phrasing completely, but it’s technically possible.

Can explain a bit how time signatures actually work too, by copy-pasting from this page.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

"In simple meters, time signatures (also called meter signatures) express two things: 1) how many beats are contained in each measure, and 2) the beat unit (which note value gets the beat). Time signatures are expressed by two numbers, one above the other, placed after the clef. "

A time signature is not a fraction, though it may look like one; note that there is no line between the two numbers. In simple meters, the top number of a time signature represents the number of beats in each measure, while the bottom number represents the beat unit.

In simple meters, the top number is always 2, 3, or 4, corresponding to duple, triple, or quadruple beat patterns. The bottom number is usually one of the following:

• 2, which means the half note gets the beat.
  • 4, which means the quarter note gets the beat.
  • 8, which means the eighth note gets the beat.

You may also see the bottom number 16 (the sixteenth note gets the beat) or 1 (the whole note gets the beat) in simple meter time signatures."

2 Likes

All I know about music theory I learned from Adam Neely. :smiling_face:

He ain’t bad for the high level stuff tbh.

all I know about music theory I learned from Adam Smith (I pay artists on fiverr to write all my melodies via the invisible hand of the free market)

3 Likes

I haven’t learned any music theory I just get chatGPT to write my tunes.

3 Likes

12 days to go til deadline
Really hoping for some decent participation on this one!

1 BigUp

@hubb you seen this may8? 'AVE A GO!

4 Likes

I’ve got a loop and am gone on work all week so I’ll probably have to hastily make an arrangement

cheers for the shout Finn

I’m too busy finishing this other stuff. Will post that when done.

1 BigUp

Mental busy lately and it’s gonna get worse until deadline, so my usual 16 bar loop probably isn’t going to get any longer lol, can we push deadline to Q4?

1 BigUp

Extendo might be possible for a week.

I’ve been trying to get my non dsf nonce music friends to have a go at it

1 BigUp

That’d be cool tbh, been deep in real life fuckery from several directions the last month, as has been mentioned in other threads.

Just been browsing through the samples, haven’t started on anything yet.