Dubspeak Comp

Diclaimer: This Comp. is not yet ready to take place. But I was thinking that maybe we could have a competition/compilation with the alphabet we generate from this thread.
For the Comp, I think we should add the constraint that one full loop of your word/phrase/sentence (expression) must be audible at least once at the beginning of the track and again somewhere else if the song is at least twice the length of the expression. Also, if you figure out other ways of drawing the symbols, send over a picture and I’ll probably mention them in the report/presentation.
And sorry this is so long, feel free to take breaks, just makes it easier to do a legitimate write up for the report I’ll inform you about immediately:

I’m taking a linguistics course and one of the assignments is to create a language and I thought that instead of making a language people can easily speak, make a language that a human could make the sounds of with a computer. It’s not been formally assigned yet, she did mention it on the first day, 3 weeks ago, though. Probably have until November to finish. I will hurry on it if I have to though.

But I was thinking about making it a musical language. I’ve more or less got a visual idea for expressing letters, it’s quite mathematical, but patently simplistic. The lexicon for the alphabet would be depictions of wave symbols and/or characters that are organized into mathematical sums of their products in words, sentences, paragraphs and so forth using ordinary algebraic expressions that you should’ve seen by the time you were old enough to be on here in the first place lol. It’s just a bit long to write it all out, but could be worth it, imho lol.
So for a reese, a pair of detuned sawtooth oscillators, you’d have a symbol of a saw wave, and then you’d add that to another inverted one. So they’re more or less instructions for making a sound. and that would be a letter. It’s kinda long, but the professor’s probably going to teach us about better ways of doing things like that lol

For the sounds that actually correspond to the letters, I was thinking that we could make them up based off the english alphabet? So by replacing sounds of letters in the alphabet with sounds we can make beats with.

So for for now, this is what I have, feel free to suggest some, I’ll post your names in a bracket as I update the alphabet. I’d like to keep reese and/or eski (two detuned sawtooth waves), and perhaps most obviously sine, but if you can come up with better ones then we can just update. I may re do the list for reporting purposes, but this can be a functional one for the moment

a = sine
b = animal sound
c = shaker (@Tolsof)
d =
e = reverb (@Jizz)
f =
g =
h = hi hat (@Samuel_L_Damnson)
i =
j =
k = kick (@Jizz)
l =
m = machine
n =
o = delay
p =
q = snare (@Jizz)
r = reese
s = eski
t =
u =
v = human voice
w =
x = electrical/mechanical sound
y =
z = xylophone

In the paper I will reference the forum with a link to this thread. I will mention usernames as they come up as they are relevant and reference that source in the bib. So let’s try to keep it civil in the thread lol. And to keep it empirical, I’ll propose a test sentence for the thread, we should all be able to replicate it, but needn’t do so for the event. For that I feel like it would be better if we tried to come up with our own. But you’d have to say what the phrase meant, that is, translate it. But, Ideally, it has to sound good. So make what you can of repetition and time stretching samples. So in a sense, it’s like a language family as we all put our own style to it through production.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing what becomes of this :slight_smile:

q = kick
z = snare

would that work?

1 BigUp

Can we have hi hat on e or t

This sounds complicated

I’m going to attatch each sound to their appropriate key on my keyboard, find a scientific paper on penguins, and combine the two

Fair, I’m just gonna stick to linguistics and dubstep so I can try to write a no worse than casually shit undergraduate paper lol.

1 BigUp

Ok I think I completely misunderstood this project.

Lemme see if I get this right, you basically want to make a form of encryption where each individual “noise” that we make represents a letter in the English alphabet, so a word like “RAM” would be REESE - SINE - MACHINE

If this were the case, I think that we should also add in specific sounds to represent spaces and periods, making it more reasonable to understand, possibly even add in particles for the subject, object, questions (sorry I really like particles :p)

Am I understanding this right?

Well that, now, amongst other things lol.

edit
I’m quite interested in group theory though, and am allowed to sit in on a course in the subject that relates to combinatorix, so that (ie encryption) could be quite relevant going forward.

So basically I gotta make a sound for the letter B and you were thinking a bird would be good. Can do

well, I would’ve liked that it wasn’t exactly that way so that we could just stick to sounds we wanna make beats out of. Like a group production project of sorts :slight_smile:

So I’ll make a sound that represents the letter B in my mind

Should be something percussive since it’s a plosive :thinking:

well maybe another letter now?

Haha whatever you want man just let me know

Yeah, that’s fine, you could even use the same trick if you want, I would and will definitely reference you for that type of stuff. But, please, if you know a lot about the subject, be sparing. Don’t feel bad about hinting, or suggesting things I should look into, but I want legitimate authorship for the report lol.

Yeah no problem man. I know quite a bit about linguistics and the grammatical systems of a couple different languages. Not so much so about encryption. My only real suggestion is that since this is essentially making a much more complicated Morse code, to add as much as possible to make it easier for a human to hear and understand (even if it took a lot of training which it obviously would)

1 BigUp

d = dub

1 BigUp

What do you mean?

@Tolsof Yeah, that’s it!

(also check with your teacher that this is an OK project since it technically wouldn’t be “making a language”.)
That being said I’d totally take this over all the cringy nerdy things people will end up turning in.

As one of the true musical viruses of the the 20th Century, dub can be an overarching inclusion of things like sine, bird, cowbell, hi hat, kick, machine, snare, reese, eski and xylophone.

It wouldn’t have to be classic in nature, but rather amorphous in its nature just like it has traditionally informed many styles of music including the forum in which we are on now.

Therefore e = (should be) echo.

Besides, this is called the Dubspeak Comp…

I see what you mean, but this is just the start! Need to get on it early though otherwise it straight up won’t work. I figure I just have to break enough of the rules and it’s a new thing, right?