Gear Lust Part 7

Thanks for the listen man. Yea, it is a tad minimal. I’ll have to go back and see what I can add to it. I have to say I am surprised how good it sounded with the MD run into the A4 and then just recording a stereo track.

Watched this yesterday. The conditional triggers have me more excited than anything, though new LFO stuff will be cool on the A4 for sure.

Elektron is really paving the way forward with Overbridge, I have to say. I’m excited to see if I can get it to run in Reaper. I really don’t want to have to buy Ableton…

I’m sure they will have it working stable in other DAW’s very soon, if not in this 1.1 release.
The conditional sequencing features greatly expand each pattern you make, helping to stay away from sequence fatigue that step sequencers can suffer from. One of my favorite tricks I’ve found so far is to make short 3-4 note fills that have the first note set to either probability or to some counter and then the rest set to PRE, which means the whole fill either plays together or not at all. Great for ghost note stuff that keeps a pattern rolling along and exciting.

Beautiful tip. Love it. I’m so stoked on this update. I haven’t even hooked up a bunch of gear I took to a weekend house party my buddy threw last weekend because I’ve been totally absorbed in Elektron.

Got to do an early morning chill out jam. Love playing weird, weird stuff for partied out people smoking tons of herb…

aight, here’s a quick demo I threw together, a gear lust twofer. 1 pattern on the A4 and RYTM showing off conditional triggers for variations and the key tracking LFO FM for the bass sound. Run thru the handy amps eq, 16 bars off, 16 bars on, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/knobgoblin/hendyamps-eq-a4rytm

1 BigUp

will have a listen asap : )

@hifi Oct '15
thoughts on yamaha ry30?

µ-Ziq just did a whole album with one, apparently. Pretty good illustration of what they can do.

https://soundcloud.com/mikep/sets/ry30-trax

i was listening to that earlier, i think he also used it in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3L7e5szj5Q

At some point, you know, a lot of the shitty gear (esp. hardware, but possible for software too) many of you ditched 10 years ago will eventually be “rediscovered” for its “unique sound” and “organic vibe” or “unique workflow” or some hoohaa. And they’ll be right.

Which does not mean you should hoard, but - if you like a piece of gear, don’t just abandon it because it’s not cool or the bitrate isn’t the highest around or whatever.

An instrument is an instrument, whether it’s made of rubber bands, binary, animal parts, African Blackwood (sounds dirty but the most expensive in the world), or Sino-Japanese plastic and silicon.

Don’t make me tell the $35 Juno-60 story again bitches… :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I never heard that story. So, you got a Juno 60 for $35 bucks. Damn…

I still have my first synthesizer, a Juno 106 that I bought in the '90’s. It has been used on hundreds of tunes.

Lusting for one of these right now so I can stream on mixlr.

New Macbook Pro Retina’s don’t have an audio input.

From the NAMM show in progress… what the what?!

via http://discchord.com/blog/2016/1/21/namm2016-zoom-arq.html:
Zoom is getting an early lead in the contest for Weirdest NAMM Thing, with the announcement of ARQ. Combining instrument, controller, and sequencer, the ARQ looks like a cross between Simon, Tenori-on, and Wavedrum. It sports Bluetooth LE, but does not explicitly state if it will work for Bluetooth MIDI on iOS. The ARQ should arrive in April for $600.

The arturia matrixbrute !!!

OK, I thought I was doing growls well on the A4 until I heard this. Absolutely massive. Are you using more than one voice for that growl? Also that kick has convinced I must upgrade from the Machinedrum to the RYTM.

I haven’t been bothered to check, but are the new OS/Overbridge updates available yet? Every time I can get in the studio for a solid hour I’ve been hanging out with the A4 and MD.

Just a single voice for the growl, using the key tracking lfo at audio rate for filter and pitch fm. The kicks from the RYTM are so damn punchy and thick. So easy to create great kicks with this machine.

Not sure if they have released the os to the public yet, but get it as soon as you can. It really adds so much to the A4.

1 BigUp

Damn. I wasn’t that excited about the new LFO stuff until now. I have to say synthesis and what parameters mean/do is probably one of my major weak points.

I have this weird experience with the A4 almost daily where I’m trying to get a different sound out of it than I did the last time I programmed a patch and I’ll get to a point where I’m like “Damn…I’ve run out of parameters to edit”…then I tweak something just right and the A4 gives me this whole new sound. Then I sit flummoxed playing the new patch.

I’ve owned the A4 for about three weeks now and I have to say that absolutely my only complaint is that I wish they would have just went ahead and put two extra outs on the A4, even if they hardwired to bypass the FXs.

Having it on the Keys and not the dekstop unit just seems like a weird oversight.

Korg Volca FM synth. Compatiable with DX7 patches. 3 voice polyphony. Arp.

Ha! Just came over here to post that too. Looks really, really cool.

Also the new OP-Z looks interesting, esp. If it’s cheaper than the OP-1 (which is rumored)…

I was stoked on the OP-Z until I heard one will have to buy some kind of stupid kit so you can sync it to MIDI? I hate when companies nickle and dime people. Though if its cheap enough I might still be tempted. Can’t wait to see what all comes of it…I like their sound engines.

The OP-1 I always thought was cool, but kinda pricey. I got my A4 for the same price as a new OP-1…lol…

Edit: I assume people have heard about the MatrixBrute and the Dave Smith and Tom Oberhiem DSI OB-6 collab?

Yeah, the lack of outs was a major reason I upgraded to the keys version, but overbridge should have you sorted for multitracking.

It’s a pretty deep synth and I’m sure you’ll be finding new sound design tricks with it for years. A tip for getting huge bass from it is to set filter 2 to the parametric boost and set key tracking to 32. Tune to boost to the fundamental and adjust the resonance to dial in as much low end as you need. :slight_smile:

1 BigUp